Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 09:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Damm guy spent all this money and time but couldn’t touch the brakes lol. How not to sell a car. Move on from this **** box and spend a bit more
I know right? Lol, alas there isn't much where I am, I've seen 4, 3 of them are 2k and aren't running lol

Old 03-29-2020, 10:10 PM
Overlanding

What would y'all pay for this? Just wondering..

Old 03-30-2020, 07:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Damm guy spent all this money and time but couldn’t touch the brakes lol. How not to sell a car. Move on from this **** box and spend a bit more
As someone who owns over 10 cars I can tell you that this scenario may not be exactly what you think. When juggling lots of car projects some things take priority over others, and sometimes you decide to cut your losses and move on. This is why I said it's important to find out the story behind why it's for sale. Any truck with north of 175k miles is going to need some type of mechanical refreshment, as long as the vehicle is sound then a lower cost of entry can be a bonus. Again, anything mechanical can be fixed. These trucks are simple to work on however no matter which one you buy, you will be working on it at some point in the near future. The only time this is a problem is if the truck isn't worth fixing due to accident or rust. It just depends how much wrenching you want to do, and how much you can avoid doing by spending more money at the outset. I'd still go look at the first truck before making a decision to pass and moving on to a truck costing 3X as much.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:04 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ahab
As someone who owns over 10 cars I can tell you that this scenario may not be exactly what you think. When juggling lots of car projects some things take priority over others, and sometimes you decide to cut your losses and move on. This is why I said it's important to find out the story behind why it's for sale. Any truck with north of 175k miles is going to need some type of mechanical refreshment, as long as the vehicle is sound then a lower cost of entry can be a bonus. Again, anything mechanical can be fixed. These trucks are simple to work on however no matter which one you buy, you will be working on it at some point in the near future. The only time this is a problem is if the truck isn't worth fixing due to accident or rust. It just depends how much wrenching you want to do, and how much you can avoid doing by spending more money at the outset. I'd still go look at the first truck before making a decision to pass and moving on to a truck costing 3X as much.
I don't mind working, I got every tool in the world at my disposal thanks to my dad plus it's not my daily driver. Was wanting something to tinker with and maybe enjoy driving a little.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Feral
What would y'all pay for this? Just wondering..
$1,000.

Needs to be paperwork on the work done otherwise it’s just taking a word for it.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

If it were me - I do put value in whats been already done as long as there is some verification and a timeline of when things were done.
I would take a battery box etc to crank it - let it run long enough to know if its over heating.
You'll need a code reader that can give real time water temps.
Monitor for any leaks - water, oil etc during this process.
IIRC, the sunroofs dont leak from the drains but from seals around where they mount to the sealing or something like that.
So take a very good look at the head liner for stains and smells. Fixable for sure, just something to consider.
Make sure everything works inside, all of the windows, locks, sunroofs, wipers, anything electrical.
Why does the rear door need aligning? that seems odd to me........
Consider the condition of anything you might have to spend money on to replace, like tires, shocks etc and take all of that into consideration as well

Old 03-30-2020, 11:15 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
If it were me - I do put value in whats been already done as long as there is some verification and a timeline of when things were done.
I would take a battery box etc to crank it - let it run long enough to know if its over heating.
You'll need a code reader that can give real time water temps.
Monitor for any leaks - water, oil etc during this process.
IIRC, the sunroofs dont leak from the drains but from seals around where they mount to the sealing or something like that.
So take a very good look at the head liner for stains and smells. Fixable for sure, just something to consider.
Make sure everything works inside, all of the windows, locks, sunroofs, wipers, anything electrical.
Why does the rear door need aligning? that seems odd to me........
Consider the condition of anything you might have to spend money on to replace, like tires, shocks etc and take all of that into consideration as well
Thank you! And yes the rear door is a little confusing.. I mean maybe it got bent I don't know.. I really want to ask but don't have cash at hand yet. Waiting on the sale of my pos durango haha. And thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to put it to good use.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
$1,000.

Needs to be paperwork on the work done otherwise it’s just taking a word for it.
So how about you suggest a "reasonable" price assuming the ad is legit?
Most people wont go into that assuming the seller is lying about everything.
You go in cautious, verify and make a reasonable offer. That truck is worth $1000 with a blown motor around here.
If all that work is actually legit, then I'd argue he's underselling the truck and should be asking for more.

The following 2 users liked this post by NewToTheTwo:
Sixpack577 (03-30-2020), whowa004 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 821 Likes on 538 Posts

if it doesn't overheat and the normal concern items check off it's worth way more than $1000...it's a running 4x4 vehicle. Now that's a big if, I know. Maybe $2500 as it's relatively stock if things checked out (that only matters if does blow up and it comes to parting the thing out. you can make that money back on a clean stock truck)

Old 03-30-2020, 02:09 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by whowa004
if it doesn't overheat and the normal concern items check off it's worth way more than $1000...it's a running 4x4 vehicle. Now that's a big if, I know. Maybe $2500 as it's relatively stock if things checked out (that only matters if does blow up and it comes to parting the thing out. you can make that money back on a clean stock truck)
i better check to make sure all the dash lights pop on, I've seen a thread where someone had found theirs picked off lol

Quick Reply: New guy looking for opinions