Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy--Need Some Help and Ready to Learn

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Guy--Need Some Help and Ready to Learn

In May of this year I bought a '04 Disco with 45k miles. Since that time, I've put just over 3k miles on the truck. In recent weeks, I've noticed two separate issues that could be minor--but could also be pretty major problems. Before I address the problems, I will say that I have read the advice on this board extensively and am going to take a couple of actions this week.

1. In the past week and a half I've been getting intermittent 3 Amigos. The lights come on sometimes when I start the vehicle, sometimes after I drive for a few miles, and often not at all. I do not have a code reader.

2. I've also noticed a coolant leak (who would have guessed) in recent days. The leak is very small, but I can smell the coolant when the vehicle gets to running temp. I'm going tomorrow or Wed to get a pressure test.

Not sure if anyone has any advice, hints--but anything would be appreciated.

Last edited by JAC; 09-28-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:14 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good idea on the pressure test, look around the throttle body. That's a common coolant leak location. As far as the intermittent 3 amigo problem I would check pads and brake fluid (flush if needed) and clean off all brake dust. Then see if lights come back.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling

Update:
After I got home this evening I popped the hood and found the source of the coolant leak. There is a slow drip from one of the hoses that are connected to the heater matrix.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are your brakes squeaking? Check your pads and if needed, replace with good, quality pads like EBC, not the Autozone poop.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM
JAC
Three Wheeling

Ok, so I assume that I'm going to have to drain the coolant in order to replace the heater hose. Correct? I've read the instructions and consulted the RAVE CD, so I'm pretty comfortable with that. My next question comes to re-filling the coolant. I've read the DexCool/Green Coolant debate. I thought DexCool was orange, but my coolant is Pink. I just want to confirm that once I flush the system that I'm good to refill with any OAT coolant.

If I can get my camera to work, I'll post a couple pictures when I get home this evening.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You don't have to drain the entire thing, in fact, you can't unless you do the block drains. Unless you flush with water a few times, you don't wan't to change what you have in there. OAT will be fine.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to replace hoses, go ahead and flush the radiator and re-fill with the factory-recommended coolant. If the vehicle is new to you, I'd assume it has never been done. Also proceed with the 60k service in the "sticky" posts.

You'll need a shop with the correct equipment to give you the brake codes. Could be an easy fix or require rebuilding or replacing your ABS unit. Atlantic British has a rebuild kit that would be my first try ~ $90.00 as I recall.