Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, want to buy a disco, have ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:33 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, want to buy a disco, have ?s

Hello everyone, I'm really interested in picking up a used disco, I've wanted one for a long time, but never pulled the trigger on one. I'm planning on picking one up soon and have several questions you guys might be able to help me with. How Reliable are they? I’ve heard mixed reviews’ ranging from, “The truck is a complete lemon,” to, “It’s an amazing vehicle.” How expensive is it to maintain? Does it require any regular maintenance on its driveline or suspension, maintenance as in work other than standard stuff like fluid checks and whatnot, rover specific stuff? Oil changes standard, or do they require special tools and filter? I’m planning on replacing my 98 explorer with one and just want to make sure what I’m getting into before I do it, I’d like to not jump into a car where the maintenance costs are going to be through the roof. Thanks for any help guys and gals.

Brad

Old 01-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: New here, want to buy a disco, have ?s

How reliable, well that is a good question, that is down to the maintenance carried out, most I have come across that are in a mess are due to lack of maintenance and lots of abuse.

They do require regular maintenance, more so if used off road a lot. Most is simple stuff and can be done by yourself, which keeps costs down. Checking oil levels, and greasing prop shafts maybe would take you 15 minutes, and if done every month for instance will prevent any problems occuring.

Engine oil depending on the model you buy should be changed every 6000 miles.

Servicing costs can be very expensive at dealers, but most people either do it themselves or use an independant garage. Depends where in the world you are too.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Mudding

Well, I haven't had mine very long, but it's 5 years old, and I got complete repiar records on it. Doesn't look like much was done (repair wise) in that time, so if you take care of it you shouldn't have too much trouble more than any other truck.

Parts in the states can be pretty spendy, depending on the year you got it (After 2000 they were owned by Ford, so that would hopefully make the parts less exotic . . .) I looked at some repair costs for standard things, which were fairly high (I believe the Alternator was about $1000 replaced, but I imagine that is in the shop, and brand new. I wouldn't pay that much . . .)

Old 02-04-2005, 09:07 PM
3rd Gear

well if done at the dealer..servicing can be very costly...same thing goes for OEM parts. if your used to a 98 explorer than you'd prob wanna go with one of the newer series II models aka 04ish..newer style lights in front make it look a whole lot better and up to date. yet all vehciles have there faults...from GM to Ford to Ferrari even Land Rover. any vehicle you ask people about will always give you a 50/50 response in the end. there are ones built like gold and there are ones built lime lemons....my 2 cents though is that it isn't that bad of a vehicle

Old 02-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Winching

Brad S,

As noted, you don't list where you are located ? Assuming your in The States, Yes the maintance costs are very high. $1K for an Alternator ? Yep, That's close, it's Italian. Question is, why do you want A Rover ? In the States most people buy for the status symbol. However, if you are A serious offroader nothing at all will come close to the Land Rovers capabilities. On road ? Check the usual, Consumers Reports and JD Powers.

As far as recieving independant servicing for A Land Rover in the USA, Good luck ! Very very few shops have the ability to do more than very basic maintance. However, most LR dealers in the US are way better than domestic dealers.

Just as if you purchase A $100K Rolls Royce, A alternator will cost $5K. $50K Land Rover A Alternator $1K. $20K Chevy $200. See what I mean ?

Bait

Old 02-05-2005, 04:57 AM
Overlanding

Brad,

I bought a 2001 Disco SE7 on 12/29/04 with 40,322 miles on it. So I haven't had it very long, but I do love this truck. I took my family to the mountains so my kids could play in the snow 2 days after buying the Disco. I gleefully watched small sedans skid and non 4WD vehicles pull to the side as I climbed the mountain. I was thrilled with the HDC (Hill Descent Control) as I drove down the mountain.

OK, I got off track here. First, find a vehicle, then check it out. Since the car dealer that I bought the Disco from was near my house, I was able to drive it by my mechanic's shop for him to take a look at it. It looked good to him. Drove well to me. I was hooked. I checked CARFAX. I investigated different extended warranties to purchase. I bought one through my credit union with a $200 deductible/ 4 years/ 48,000 miles. I checked NHSTA's website for recall information. I called Land Rover North America and gave them the vin of the truck to see if all the recalls had been performed. One hadn't been. Since the previous owner didn't do the 37,500 maintenance, I took the truck to the dealer for that. While I was at the dealer, I asked them to print out the vehicle maintenance history for my records.

I did my due diligence. There isn't anything else I could think of to do. In the end, it's still a used car, regardless of make or model. If something breaks down, I've done everything I can do to protect myself.

Maintenance on these vehicles is expensive, however there are some independent shops that have Autologic which allows them to compete price wise with the dealers for repairs. I don't have the number with me for British/Atlantic, but they're on the web. You can call them to see if there is an Autologic shop near you.

One more thing, you'll get a better price buying from someone other than a Land Rover dealer. I've always gotten a better price on cars that aren't on their own lot. For example, I bought the Disco from a Chrysler dealer. They wanted it off their lot very badly so they made me a great deal. The truck had been sitting there for 6 months. They want people to be attracted to their brand, not someone else's.

That's all I can think of. Good luck. Investigate.

--M

Old 02-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Winching

Agree with most of what BigMike posted. However, purchasing an XYZ extended warranty plan doesn't necessarily mean it will be accepted by A LR or independent dealer. Just as health care, not all doctors accept all plans.

Autologic shops are few and far between. They also don't have the latest info from Ford or the Factory training.

You will always get A better "price" from the Chrysler dealer on A Disco. Land Rover Dealers only sell Certified used vehicles. They receive A full check over and get A two year Warranty backed by Ford. This usually results in A $1K difference, which is well worth it !

Bait