Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to me dII burns oil at full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I havn't went WOT since I did my test drive on the truck. I gave her hell that day on the Atlanta freeways haha. Wasn't my problem if it couldnt handle it. Gotta make sure that your not buying a bomb!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds like you are ready for a wet and dry compression test to verify the conditions of the rings.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does not have to be wot just enough to get the revs up or downshift like getting on the highway....so far the most it has used in a day is 3 quarts over maybe 70 miles. When my wife drives it back and forth from work 9 miles no highway I uses almost no oil. It was also a bit low on water. I'm starting to think botched headgasket job. I think disco mike is right compression test is next.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

And do it soon, cause you are killing your cats running that much oil thru them.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

That much oil, if external leak, some of it should end up as spots on back bumper and glass. Should be easy to find if you wash off the engine.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not an external leak...no spots In the driveway

Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the HG job may be suspect. Certainly do the compression tests. As mentioned, could be seals or valve guides. Plugs look really bad? 3 quarts in 70 miles is an astounding level of oil consumption, but I am used to blue smoke for oil burners. Also, I've seen other vehicles leak oil at higher rpm, and it would go on the manifold and be burned off. Snug up the valve covers with 8mm 12 point 1/4 inch drive.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Cassidy Bodle
It does not have to be wot just enough to get the revs up or downshift like getting on the highway....so far the most it has used in a day is 3 quarts over maybe 70 miles. When my wife drives it back and forth from work 9 miles no highway I uses almost no oil. It was also a bit low on water. I'm starting to think botched headgasket job. I think disco mike is right compression test is next.
3 quarts?! That's an astonishing amount of oil to burn in 70 miles!

Cosigning Mike, do a compression test at this point. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

The sudden switch from normal to oil eater is interesting. Here is something that may make the PCV system part of that, as it shows how the engine PCV changes operation at WOT. From page 267 or 1529 in the D2 workshop manual:

When the engine is running in cruise conditions or at idle, manifold pressure is low and the majority of gases are drawn into the inlet manifold through the oil / vapour separator in the RH rocker cover stub pipe. At the same time, filtered air is drawn from the throttle body into the engine via the LH rocker cover.

During periods of driving at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), pressure at either side of the throttle disc equalizes (manifold depression collapses). The larger ventilation opening at the throttle housing positioned in the fast moving stream of intake air, now offers more 'pull' than the small opening in the RH rocker cover and the flow of ventilation reverses, drawing gases from the LH rocker cover into the throttle body for subsequent burning in the combustion chambers.

So if PCV system was partially obstructed, perhaps engine vac is slurping up some of that oil. Is the throttle plate covered with oil? Maybe disconnect the two PCV vent hoses from the engine, and plug those openings, and re-test.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

3 quarts?! That's an astonishing amount of oil to burn in 70 miles! and your plugs still fire? no need for a compression test right now, if you going threw that much oil just pull the plugs.

Quick Reply: new to me dII burns oil at full throttle