Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hello,

I hope to own a Land Rover Discovery II soon, and am happy I found this site. So far I have only read through the stickies, and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

I'm not a mechanic, far from it, but hope to learn how to maintain the vehicle on my own, and maybe even learn some of the more expensive repairs myself. I have a feeling there is a lot of advise to be had right here!

It seems I turned on the italics....darn computers...

Anyway, hello to all members.

Marc

Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Mark - and you will find a wealth of knowledge here and the senior members will really guide you through a difficult situation should it come your way. I'm new also, and since I got the "Disco Fever" I drive one, my wife drives one, and I have aquired two parts cars. Hoping the fever goes down soon.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully you'll only have to post after a long off-roading adventure to tell your stories and post pics... But we're always here when a problem arises!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Marc! I've only owned my D2 since 6/2010, and it really has only been running since 8/2010, so I'm a n00b too.

I love my '99 Disco2 and it is effectively my daily driver (DD). My wife loves it so much that she now wants a 2nd Rover. Without her support, I'd never be able to spend the kind of time it takes to maintain this truck.

Sorry, I'm kinda long winded...feel free to ignore the rest of this post if you aren't looking for input...

It sounds like you're doing your homework before buying and I have to say, "Good for you!"

I guess my advice beyond what you've probably already read (i.e.- have a independent Rover mechanic check it out, get service history, etc.) would be to tell you that whatever you do, just make sure that you have realistic expectations based upon your vehicle and situation.

Think about this...In my case, I'm not the handiest guy around, so I know that everything will take longer than what others estimate, and I may have to be prepared pay someone to do big jobs if I can't do them myself. (i.e.- Do you have the tools to pull a tranny or transfer case? How to change head gaskets is pretty well documented, could you do it yourself? If so, could you go without the truck running while the work is done?)

Also, there are lots of sayings about Rovers that are almost cliche like the few I've listed here,
  • 'a Rover isn't a vehicle, it's a hobby'
  • 'it's not leaking, it's marking its territory!'
  • 'if it's not leaking, it must be empty!'
Ideally these are just points to laugh about, but they're all based on true experiences of other owners. Think about all of them and what they imply. If you're OK with those implications, then going into Rover ownership should be fun.

Realistic expectations and support from those around you will help to keep you from getting frustrated later. The Rover community will do anything we can to help you or at least point you in the right direction when things come up.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome! Look on the bright side, you will get plenty of experience rapidly! Good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Thanks to all of your for your welcome and input! Well, I actually took the plunge a couple of days ago and bought my first one, a 2004 Discovery II.

I'm about to post a separate post if you're interested, I already have a couple of questions.

I'm willing to learn as much as possible, but am hoping I'll be doing more driving than wrenching. I should be doing a lot of off roading, though not nearly as extreme as some of the videos I've seen online. Mostly I just need to get to my hunting spots without too many problems, and play around a litte at the local off road park.

I already have decided to join AAA though, just in case I do need to be towed.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Mudding

Welcome to the madness Marc....I hope you enjoy your truck as much as I do! cheers, rich