Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, new owner, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, new owner, couple questions

Hello all. After some research, I picked up a 1999 Discovery today with 116,000 miles. I looked at a 96, 2x97, and 1998 as well, and purchased the 1999.

I gave it as good an inspection as possible, and a good test drive, all seems well. Power windows work, no warning lights lit (except Service Engine Soon), smooth motor and transmission, sunroofs do not leak, passed VA state inspection 11/2009, etc.

After a few days reading over this site, I decided to do the 60k maintenance on whatever I purchased, starting with fluid/filter changes. The 60k sticky thread looks to be a big help.

I'm a fairly experienced shade-tree mechanic. I've done everything up to engine rebuilds on Jeep, Chevrolet, Ford, and turbo, and non turbo Porsche 944's. About the only thing I've never done is a Auto Transmission rebuild; have swapped a few though.

Questions:
1. I do not have an owners manual; is it downloadable somewhere?
2. For the Porsche 944, I was able to find a dealer service manual in *.pdf format, like 7 volumes; is this around the net for the Disco?
3. Still figuring out a few dash buttons; what is the proper sequence to engage Cruise Control? From reading, it seems a vacuum leak can render this inoperable, but maybe I'm not doin' the buttons right.
4. I want to keep a toolkit on board the disco; we using standard or metric tools here? Probably both huh?
5. Missing a center cap on one wheel, AB and RN have like 6 options; which is the correct one for the 16" wheels, anyone got one laying around to sell?
6. Any Land Rover clubs in the eastern Va area? Va Beach, Norfolk, etc.
7. How do you get the Service Engine Soon to go out? I've read that it is a service reminder light, not a trouble light; is this correct?

I guess that's all for now. I still can't believe I got a LR in the driveway. Like my 944 Turbo, I've wanted one since I was young. I've been looking to pick up a 4x4 sport ute for a bit, and was surprised to see how much Disco's depreciate (become affordable), but was not surprised to see that you can only afford to own one if you turn your own wrenches. This was also the case with the Porsche 944T (951); a Ford Mustang clutch kit installed ~$500, 944 Turbo clutch kit parts $700. You guys know the deal.

Thanks for the read, and any answers.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Also, what year drive train and suspension parts are interchangeable? For example, if someone was parting out a 95-96 Disco, and I could get a couple old tie-rod ends for a few bucks, would they fit for use in an emergency? Transmission from a 97, axles from a 95, , motor from an 01, etc? Trying to be proactive for future rebuildable parts shopping.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's down loadable for free unlike the Porsche manuals that are "underground." Instead of 7 volumes you get just one with a user friendly interface unlike the 944 pdf's.

http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.p...d=13&Itemid=29

If you have done a clutch on a 944T then I think you can do anything. Nothing in my world harder than that damn cross over pipe, and those bell housing bolts. I think the last 944t clutch I did was about 12 hours on my back.

Not to mention those damn belts, get it 1 tooth off and bye bye 944 engine. I replaced my LR transmission in about half the time it takes to do balance shaft seals on the 951.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Mudding

In regards to questions #6:

I haven't found any really local land rover clubs in the Hampton Roads area, however Tidewater Fourwheelers is a good local wheelin' club that meets every 2nd Wednesday of the month. Mostly Jeeps, some toyotas and not too sure about Rovers. I was a member back when I owned a Jeep Cherokee (XJ), but haven't been to a meeting in a few years....

Check them out: http://www.tidewaterfourwheelers.org/

Old 12-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys.

Scott,
Yeah, the 951 clutch was a bear; start at the back of the car, and disassemble forward. I replaced all the exhaust nuts with the copper ones, so as not to corrode and seize in the future. I was only able to undo all that with air tools. I did feel as though I had done something amazing when I got done. Fellow front-engined Porsche owners were like, "wtf, you replaced your own clutch?!?", as if it was a big deal. It was.

Downloading the Rave CD 1 now. I'll probably be installing an old laptop in the disco, with a remote screen and such. I'll definitely have this loaded on it.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Robwsup
Hello all. After some research, I picked up a 1999 Discovery today with 116,000 miles. I looked at a 96, 2x97, and 1998 as well, and purchased the 1999.

Questions:

7. How do you get the Service Engine Soon to go out? I've read that it is a service reminder light, not a trouble light; is this correct?
hah, best question ever.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Mudding

On #7 you need to an ODB2 scanner to pull the codes, post them up here and the guys will tell you what you need to do.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Three Wheeling

The guys at Autozone, Advance, etc, have the OBDII scanners these days right? I got a Ford Econoline scanned last year, pretty sure it was the OBDII interface.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, what year drive train and suspension parts are interchangeable? For example, if someone was parting out a 95-96 Disco, and I could get a couple old tie-rod ends for a few bucks, would they fit for use in an emergency? Transmission from a 97, axles from a 95, , motor from an 01, etc? Trying to be proactive for future rebuildable parts shopping.
The transmission is a def no, D2 trans is computer controlled, D1's(pre-99 1/2) are mech trans. Some axle parts maybe,not sure. I do know D2's have ball joints, where D1's have swivel pins. Steering rod ends are not interchangable(to best of my knowledge) The motor from an '01 would be direct swap(99-02 D2's would work)

Old 12-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Mudding

The guys at Autozone, Advance, etc, have the OBDII scanners these days right? I got a Ford Econoline scanned last year, pretty sure it was the OBDII interface.
Yes they will, but they will not turn the light off. Scanners can be had on the cheap these days and are well worth it.

Quick Reply: New member, new owner, couple questions