Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member: To be or not to be. (a LR owner)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member: To be or not to be. (a LR owner)

Hello everyone, as a new member I would like to ask you guys what you think about your LR and Disco owning experience. I am thinking about a late Disco I or early Disco II. Some of the reliability issues that I am reading about have me questioning if purchasing a LR is a good decision. Any input and opinion would be appreciated. Thanks

Walt

Old 12-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: New member: To be or not to be. (a LR owner)

find one with service records. Miles you want and money you want to spend. I am a pretty new owner myself, have invested some money getting my Disco where she should be, not quite there but on the way.Some needed work , some preventive work. Over all, I love driving mine. Keep in mind that the people who don't have any problems don't post here. With every vehicle there are those who love them or hate them. LR's are no exception.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear

Also a new member to the forum and proud owner of an 03 Disco SE and previously a 96 Disco. Trucks area blastto drive. Maintenance/parts can get pricey, especially if you go through the dealer.Had an issue with ignition wiring on the 03thatwentbad and the billwas steep at the dealer, however it was covered under warranty. Other than the standard maintenance on the truck (tires,routine oil changes, etc), have had no major issues.96 went till 190k + and the transmission went. Looking back on it, I should have spent the $$ and saved it as it was a great truck.

Test drove an LR3 recently just to check it out and was not that impressed. LR definitely seems to be trying to market to the mainstream with it-smart but not for me. Not as much of a "truck" as the discos of the 90's-04.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Mudding

I'm a fairly recent Land Rover Owner. I have owned my '01 Discovery for about 7 months, my wife liked it so much she wanted one so found a "95. They both have been for the most part problem free until the recent issue with my3 Amigo Lights. I am a previous Mercedes owner and as everyone will tell you the repairs can be expensive on a Rover. My '01 tows a trailer wonderfully and climbs the mountains better than anything I have had previous. Fuel economy is not that great, however you are buying an SUV so I don't mind. They are a wonderful vehicle to drive. For a project I picked up an '88 Range Rover to actually learn about the principles of the vehicle. If you can do a lot of your own mechanic work, go for it. If you have to take to the shop for every little thing, think twice unless you havea deeper pocket. Good Luck and keep up the maintenance.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Dittos on getting one with full service records. I would try to get one either certified or still under warranty and then extend the warranty.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Money spent on the vehicle mostly depends on your expectations. I bought my 2000 Discovery SE7 a year ago, it came with all documented history and the confirmation of the local dealer that has worked on the vehicle for a long time, that it was 'one of the good ones' ( to use their words)

With this said, here we are, a year and$6000.00 later, that could have been only abut $1200.00 if it wouldn't have been for the fact that I decided to upgrade the suspension and tires($2000.00) and change all the darn gaskets on this thing, like head gaskets,front gasket, and all the related gaskets that come with such jobs.($2800.00). None of the leaks were problematic in the way that fluids where mixing with each other, but being as **** as I am about leaks, they had to be taken care of.

So if you just want to drive a vehicle that is a blast to drive,and has a vertually unbeatable driving position,go for it. If like me, the discovery is synonym with upper calss and luxury, and you will not accept the fact that they leak, think again. or get ready to spend.