Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to my Disco 2, Done some research, still need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to my Disco 2, Done some research, still need some advice.

Hey guys, I am the very proud new owner of a 2000 White Disco 2. Shes got about 111k and came with the 3 amigos for free! Well after having my mechanic check her all out, and doing plenty of research on this forum and over at Land Rovers Only as to not ask stupid questions, I think I've got a starting point. I want to know what you guys think, and if I'm heading in the right direction. Sorry but this is probably going to be a long post, if you can answer even 1 little thing that would be great.

Right now, I'm throwing these codes and have diagnosed them as such:
0134/0135-Failed Left Front O2 Sensor
1174/1171-MAF Sensor going out, or Vacuum Leak (leaning towards vacuum leak due to Cruise Control not working correctly, though the MAF looks like someone tampered with it.)
1319-Misfire with Low/Empty FuelDrive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum (this one is one I'm having troubles find)
0303-Misfire in cyl 3-LIKELY due to o2 sensor. (Could also be that I'm home from college for the summer, and my mother thought it would be a nice surprise to fill my new truck up, filling it with regular 87 octane :/)
1590-ABS - Front Sensor is setting it off. (3 amigos tag along buddy)

I have some slight vibration upon acceleration and between 25-40, I have diagnosed this as I need to rebuild my front driveshaft with 3 greaseable Ujoints. This is #1 on my priority list. I have the PDF file on the rebuild and plan to start tomorrow.

As for the 3 amigos, I have a feeling that its the brakes. I need to replace the brake pads and rotors bad. I also need to bleed the brake lines. I plan to just flush the brake system, knowing that it likely needs to be done desperately. I am currently up in the air as if I need to go to AB and order all OEM pads and rotors, or what I would be okay with getting as far as parts go.

I have a small coolant leak from the TB, gasket I'm assuming, 3 dollar fix? It has dripped coolant down on to the 3rd cyl and O2 sensor, so this is where my thoughts are going as far as misfire and needing to replace the o2 sensor.

I have a very small oil leak at the valve covers, gasket, 5 dollar fix?
Radiator mounts are broken, debating on just getting a re-cored one at the same time?

I'm going to assume that most of the maintenance hasn't been performed, so I will likely get to the 60k post mike made here soon as well. The car drives and handles great. Draws a perfect line on the road, sounds like a champ, and the tranny seems solid. Gears feel good, interiors pretty darn clean. Everything on the inside seems to work great except for the mode button on the steering wheel (haven't figured out the usage yet either lol) and the cruise (which is why I'm assuming I have a vacuum leak somewhere or another.) Well, Did I search correctly? or am I completely off and need to be shot for a poor use of the search feature.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you need to replace your 4 oxygen sensors and replace your wires with 8mm Magnecor wires. Your wires are the likely cause of the misfire not the O2 sensor.

1590 is a rough road code from your front end shake and it is not the code for your 3 amigos. You need to have those read and cleared with a special reader. You wheel shake is the cause of the 3 amigos "probably". It could also be your steering damper is shot. I have the same issue and it was actually partly due to a bad hub. The brakes could definitely be the cause too though if they are loud or the dirty fluid. Or your shuttle valve could be shot or your ABS unit is shot, do your ABS brakes work if you slam on the brakes?

Rocker cover gaskets and the throttle body gaskets are cheap and easy to fix.

Welcome to the fun world of the disco!

Last edited by lipadj46; 07-17-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Welocme to the fourm.
Before you replace any O2's do a tune up, 90% of O2 codes on LR's are due to the need of a tune up, and you haev mis fire codes so that is where I would start.
Replace your brake pads and do a brake fluid flush but I am betting that your vibration and 3 amigos are due to one or more bad hubs on the front axle.
As for the coolant leak at the throttle body, yes, a $3 fix.
http://roverparts.com/Parts/ERR6623.cfm
As for the valve covers leaking, also a $3 fix.
Go to Sears and buy a 1/4" drive 12pt 8mm socket and snug the valve cover bolts.
A vauum leak in the cruise control wont be big enough to notice so it wont throw any codes.
Do the front drive shaft and the throttle body heater first, then a tune up, then brake pads if needed but def a fluid flush.
After you have done youir tune up clear the codes and see if the MAF one comes back, somebody may have just left the MAF loose and it set off the code because they had it all jacked up.
www.apexperformence.net for the plug wires, Magnecor 8mm with Iridium plugs and she will run like a Swiss watch.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Sounds like you need to replace your 4 oxygen sensors and replace your wires with 8mm Magnecor wires. Your wires are the likely cause of the misfire not the O2 sensor.

1590 is a rough road code from your front end shake and it is not the code for your 3 amigos. You need to have those read and cleared with a special reader. You wheel shake is the cause of the 3 amigos "probably". It could also be your steering damper is shot. I have the same issue and it was actually partly due to a bad hub. The brakes could definitely be the cause too though if they are loud or the dirty fluid. Or your shuttle valve could be shot or your ABS unit is shot, do your ABS brakes work if you slam on the brakes?

Rocker cover gaskets and the throttle body gaskets are cheap and easy to fix.

Welcome to the fun world of the disco!
ABS works fine, and she drives smoother and straighter than any car Ive ever driven. The vibration is definitely the front drive shaft, only happens during acceleration, stops when coasting and in neutral completely, not the steering column, just you can feel a slight vibration on the floorboard. The front U Joint is shot, bad.
as for the 3 amigos, I really think its the Rotors that are shot on the front end, and the brakes are real low. The brakes need to be bled baddd too.

Last edited by StormTroopa; 07-17-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Storm, send me your tele number and I'll call you from Parker, tomorrow afternoon.
You have too many issues to type about.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude if you really think it's your front driveshaft,then you should not drive your truck.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StormTroopa
ABS works fine, and she drives smoother and straighter than any car Ive ever driven. The vibration is definitely the front drive shaft, only happens during acceleration, stops when coasting and in neutral completely, not the steering column, just you can feel a slight vibration on the floorboard. The front U Joint is shot, bad.
as for the 3 amigos, I really think its the Rotors that are shot on the front end, and the brakes are real low. The brakes need to be bled baddd too.
Yes that happened to me when my U-joint started to go, get to a shop because you are in serious risk of destroying your transmission if it goes.]

Edit: I see you are going to DIY the driveshaft. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oysterhead
Dude if you really think it's your front driveshaft,then you should not drive your truck.
Yup, drivin the rice rocket until someone decides to buy it to pick up everything for the rover, shes gonna sit pretty until that driveshaft is taken care of.. ~250$ in parts and a couple days sitting vs a whole new tranny.. ill take the sittin

Old 07-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Well got the parts today, Damn napa was expensive! ball was 66 bucks itself ... had to go to a few of them to get all the ujoints, they were scarce around here. Anyone know what grade bolts to replace the 4 3/8" 24TPI ones with? Im assuming 8, but wondering what you guys thought

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

WTF $66? that part is like $20 on rockauto.

Quick Reply: New to my Disco 2, Done some research, still need some advice.