Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to offroading

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to offroading

well the other day i decided to go on this little trail area because i was bored and i just read the manual on offroading and there are certain techniques and stuff. the area is dirt but really uneven and i just drove over that and the manual says to put it in diff lock and then there is this hill i want to go back and go up/down and when i go down i am suppose to put it in gear 1 and not use the break. i am afraid i will bottom out or something when i hit the bottom. will it happen?

Old 09-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: new to offroading

Yes use thediff lock. Use the lowest gear that you can without over revving the engine.
Drive as slow as possible but as fast as necassary. Use the BRAKES, (NOT BREAKS) as little as possible and NEVER when going down a steep hill. If you loose traction you are done for. That is why you put the transmission in 1st gear and the transfer case in low.
Will you bottom out? We dont know. We need to see the hill, what angle is it? You need to know your approach and departure angles and your break over angle.
Do you have a Land Rover dealer near you?

Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Drifting

yeah there is one pretty close.
are you saying to go in there and use their little track? lol i want to do that so bad but i am afraid of being declined when i ask if i can use it lol

Old 09-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey man, I see you're in Sacramento. If you're interested in off roading your truck (what do you have btw?) the NCLR club is having it's annual meeting in Hollister Hills SVRA Oct. 3-5. We are setting up runs with 3 difficulty levels (I'm leading one of them) from easy to extreme. Check out the website if you're interersted.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

You cannot "use" their off road course. The have to take you over it because of insurance regulations and such.
But yes, go inthere and ask them to take you across it several times. Tell the salesman that you want ot learn how to drive off road and that we sent you there to get educated. They can also tell you the approch and departure angles of yor truck etc.
Drive your Disco down there and they should be more than willing as long as they are not busy. And ask nice.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Drifting

haha okay i will go there and talk to them, but today i tried going up the hill that i was talking about. it was in diff lock and i put it in third gear or level three whatever its called and when up it and there was too much hay/dried weeds and my tires kept slipping and it just gave out and slid back down. then everything locked up and it turned off. did i break something? or does it automatically go to neutral and shut off when it cant do something?i put it in park and started it back up. i was successful at going down the hill in gear 1/level 1 safely.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Team Owner

Ok, there are no levels on a transmission. Each number represents a gear, 1 is first gear, 2 is second, 3 is third and "D", or drive, isfourth gear.
No the truck will not shut off when it cannot do something, cars are not that smart and that is dangerous because without the engine running you have no power brakes or power steering. In otherwords, no control.
If you overload a engine it will quit. Just like trying to mow grass that is way to tall the the lawn mower, it will stall the engine.
If you were in a forward gearbut you were backing down a hill you can stall the engine.
Before you try that hill again you need to start smaller. If you were to slide sideways on that hill you can roll over and get hurt.
Here is the rule of thumb when driving off road, drive as slow as possible but as fast as necassry.
You could probally do that hill no problem with the right tires, or with your tires if you had the experiance. But you need to start somewhere. Find a easy trail and start there. Your LR dealer will have a list/map of the local trails. You can also check your states web site for a list/map of ORV trails.
Start small, build your confidence and get some experiance. Practice makes perfect.
Also go to youtube and watch off road videos. Camel Throphy videos are the prefered ones to watch. Pay attention to what these guys do, how they drive, how they handle water, hills, etc. Do not learn from the guys with the great big trucks with great big super swampers or gus rock crawling. The guys with the big trucks are jerks who dont know a thing about drving off road and the rock crawling wont help you either.