Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Keep it and split cost
100.00%
Split and run if he refunds me not likely
0%
Have my girlfriend kick me in the a55 for not checking it out B4 buyin
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

New Owner Need Advice 2000 Discovery Cooling system/Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Need Advice 2000 Discovery Cooling system/Head Gasket

Hello Gang,

I have just had a little slice of heaven. Bought a cherry 2000 Discovery II. I mean it is truly sweet. I like it more than my 2007 H3.

Drives great everything works. 120k on clock and paid $4500USD Car was traded in at a local Nissan Dealer and sold to me by an independant car guy.

Brought it home friday and noticed a small hot anti freeze smell today so took it to the dealer. Took advantage of their $98 overall check out and got the bad news.

The quote is for nearly $5000 worth of work.

Mass air flow which I can do myself so I'm cool with that.

Leaking head gasket

Leaking intake gasket

Leaking throtle body gasket

Water pump making noise so it needs to be replaced too.

Called the guy that I bought it from and he claims he had no idea. Of couse I signed the "as is" statement on the window.

It was implied by him however that the truck was clean clean clean. Great condition.

I was calm with him on the phone and he seemed to genuinely feel bad. He is going to thing about it and we will discuss on Monday.

My dilemia is that I love the truck in spite of this but certainly don't want to pay 5k to keep it running.

Maybe if I can do everything for $3000 somehow and split it with him.

If I go thru a small independent repair shop what do you think I can expect to pay to get this done. I might be willing to split the cost with the seller and keep the truck.

Another thought was to just do an engine swap with another engine however another salvaged engine might eventually have the same issues.

Except for the sweet radiator smell in the engine bay and around the hood you would never know that it has issues. It drives and looks so nice. Interior perfect, wheels perfect paint perfect etc.,

Help with make up my mind. Should I push to just return it and see if he will do it?

John Richards

Old 01-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: New Owner Need Advice 2000 Discovery Cooling system/Head Gasket

I bet he doesn't want it back. How mechanical are you?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:23 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Head gaskets are a common issue on all Discoveries. My shop charged me $1500 to change my head gaskets. Had my water pump replaced at the same time as the head gaskets along with a few other small items and the total bill was $2250. In order to change the head gaskets they'll have to change the intake gaskets also. More than likely the intake leak is your valley gasket. The valley gasket is included in a head gasket kit. Make sure the mechanic you have do the work uses new head bolts.

Where are you located? I'm sure someone on this forum will know of an independent shop in your area.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Overlanding

I'm in nashville TN.

You know I am pretty mechanical and have done water pumps before but this engine bay looks like my BMW. It's really packed in there and I don't think I want to attempt it myself.

Heck if I can keep it under 3k I would be happy. I can email the estimates to you if you would like to see them to see specifically what they are quoteing me on.

I think there is a place in Franklin called Ed's Rover Repair.

Can anyone recommend anyone. There is a shop at the end of my street that has worked on my BMW and I was going to see if he would tackle it for me.

Thanks

JohnR

Old 01-17-2009, 04:45 PM
TReK

Never hurts to ask if you have had good luck in the past with a shop. BMWs can be just as picky as Rovers.

I'm sure a huge chunk of what they quoted you is labor. The dealer shop rate is usually outrageous. For reference, my mechanic charges $92.50 an hour shop rate. It should be easy to keep the repairs under $3000 going to an independent shop. Don't know how far Franklin is from where you're at but it might be worth talking to them if they specialize in Rovers. I'm betting they could beat the dealers quote.

To make you feel a little better, I bought my 97 for $3700, I have put at least another $3000 into it with the head gaskets, water pump and all kind of little stuff and think the truck is worth every dollar.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, dont say anything until he makes the first move.
If he says I'll knock $3,000 off the price of the truck take it and run.
Here in MI even buying "as is" you still have 3 days to dispute a major problem.
Keep the truck, let him make the first offer, you counter offer.
If the two of you can agree on a indie shop to do the work and split the cost great, if he will pay the whole thing great.
Your truck was built while LR was under BMW ownership and your engine manegment system is a BOSCH system, so that is why it looks like your BMW.
www.cartalk.com, click the mechanix files link and enter your zip code.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Overlanding

Thanks guys.

Will let you know how it pans out.

I just really like this truck...it drive and handles the way I like.

Thanks

JohnR

Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Overlanding

Talked to my shop guy that works on my BMW and he told me that if I was going to do all that was needed I would be better off doing an engine swap.

Negotiations start tomorrow with used car dealer.

Question to you guys......Is it possible to swap the engine for the 4.6 or are is that not a do able conversion or would not make sense.

I have found an engine 4.0 with 74k on it for $1600 that he will install for about $800 labor.

Reason I ask is I was wondering if the 4.6 would be less problematic if that could be done.

Thanks

JohnR

Old 01-18-2009, 02:02 PM
TReK

4.6 is a 4.0 that has been bored out a little. Not much difference between the 2 otherwise. Beware of a 4.6 out of a 2003 as it could have oil pump issues. A 4.6 conversion is a simple drop in conversion.

I really don't believe that an engine swap is the way to go. You don't have anything major wrong with your engine and putting in a used engine is opening up a whole new bag of potential problems. I would suggest fixing your current engine and calling it good.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Mudding

I had a valve job done along with head gaskets, pan gasket, and water pump for only $2600 at my dealer. That was about 3 years ago, so I guess it's possible rates have gone up that much. I'm happy with my dealer as he seems fair, but he is certainly no bargain. Based on my experience, that $5k estimate sounds awfully high.

Quick Reply: New Owner Need Advice 2000 Discovery Cooling system/Head Gasket