Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new owner and some questions

I have always liked the range rovers and land rover discoveries. We need something bigger that is more rugged to haul kids, soccer *****, scout camping trips, etc..

I perform all the work on all our vehicles... I have a porsche 928 and my wife has an 03 Jag... so I am used to high maintenance vehicles, so i am thinking that this will not be out of the norm for me.

I am also an avid member of a porsche board, and an infrequent contributor to a jag board, so i have read the stickies...

I do have a few questions....

The disco is a 2000 with 143K. It is in fair condition.
I will do the full service.. fluids, ujoints, etc.... as soon as i get it...

There is a check engine light on. I hooked my code reader up and got the following codes:
0466 and 0440 both evap codes.. cleared them and drove it about 20 min and no light came on.

Owner told me he had a tech look at it and he said it was the gas cap.. put on a new one, and it did not fix the code issue...

any input?

Next question is that there is no cd player in the car. I want to add cd changer. is the wiring there? can i add changer to the stock headunit. I want to retain the stock head unit and steering wheel controls and add cd... Possible?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can add a stock CD changer, it goes under the passenger seat, but its going to be as much as you paid for the whole truck.
Just buy a aftermarket unit.
Or have a aux jack added to your head unit, there are places you can send your unit out to that does that type of thing.
As for the evap code it could be a bad purge valve, if so there is a Hyundai part that is a exact fit for 1/2 the price.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CD changer... going for a retro theme on your truck? Get rid of the head unit, put in something with bluetooth, an aux input and an SD card slot.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

When I clear codes, they can sometimes take a couple days to return. The vehicle needs to go through a drive cycle (x - amount of time going at different speeds, stop/go, on/off, etc...) I don't know the drive cycle for the Rover, but there surly is one. I used to work at a dealership, and we'd print them out and send drivers for a 1/2 hour drive following the cycle exactly so we could smog the vehicles after a repair.

As far as the CD Changer goes, I also prefer stock over aftermarket. But, when I bought my truck, it came with an aftermarket radio with Bluetooth, USB, etc... It works REALLY well, but I would still prefer the stock unit. My CD Changer is still under the passenger seat, minus the cartridge. I've bought the cartridges on eBay for about $20 in the past for multiple cars.

Here is a complete CD Changer for under $70 (might be cheaper ones on eBay, I didn't look), but I don't know what else might be missing. Does your head unit have a CD button on it? I would imagine the wiring is already in place.