Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Poster - Yet Another Misfire Post

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009 | 08:24 PM
Team Owner

You can buy SeaFoam at Wal-mart or any auto parts store.

Start the engine, remove the PCV hose from the passenger side valve cover and stick it into the can of SeaFoam, let the engine suck in the whole can.
Now go drive it like you stole it.
She will smoke real bad, but it will stop after a few miles.
You can also dump a can into the gas tank to help clean the injectors and intake valves.

As long as you use premium gas and a name brand gas, like Shell, BP etc. fuel injector cleaner is not needed as they all have tons of it in their gas already.

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa...ex_052908.html

Old 10-10-2009 | 07:40 AM
TReK

I don't use seafoam in the gas anymore I don't think alcohols/naptha do anything at those concentrations, maybe a little, but PEA (Poly Ether Amine) concentrate are better so I use techron. 2 bottles of techron are the same prices as a bottle of seafoam.

When you do your seafoam induction cleaning just don't let it all suck in at once. Put a clamp or clothespin or something on the tube to slow the flow to a drip. The whole can should take 20 minutes.

Old 10-10-2009 | 08:46 AM
Three Wheeling

When I first ran seafoam, I was amazed at how quickly it stalled out on my first attempt, you MUST use a set of plyers or a hose crimper and let very little in, but as much as you can without the engine stalling. Remember to shut it off after you put the seafoam in, let it sit for 10 minutes, then drive like a bat outa hell!

Old 10-10-2009 | 03:17 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Update

Thanks again for the replies.

As I suspected, the saleswoman at AutoZone missed a code. I went for a second reading and got the remaining code: P0302 cylinder 2 misfire. At least none of the others misfire codes reappeared.

I have not done the Seafoam intake treatment yet, but will. Just filled up with premium and will add the Techron before the next refill (could not get it until after the fill-up).

Any other thoughts (bad coil, etc.) or should I wait to see what happens after the Seafoam treatment?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2009 | 03:24 PM
TReK

You can put the techron on top of a tank of gas, driving around for 5 minutes will mix it in. After you clean things up see if the misfire is still there. Cylinder 2 is always a possible HG leak.

Old 10-11-2009 | 08:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Check the plug, make sure its not fowled. Check the wire and make sure its securely clicked in, with the jacket covering the contacts so its not arching.

Idle the car with the hood open, when its missing do you hear a clicking sound in conjunction with the misfire? That happened to me when I had a bad wire, you could hear the spark arching.

Old 10-11-2009 | 09:48 AM
|
Overlanding

Thanks, I'll try to check that out.

Just to confirm, the Seafoam treatment goes into the hole covered by the black plug/nipple under the two tubes in the photo (using 3/16 tube, slowly)?

Attached Thumbnails New Poster - Yet Another Misfire Post-manifold-close-up.jpg  
Old 10-11-2009 | 10:04 AM
TReK

yep. have fun seeing the look on your neighbor's face when you drive around like a bat out of hell with smoke billowing from your exhaust.

Old 10-11-2009 | 08:06 PM
|
Overlanding

Yes, it will be funny. I just hope I don't get stopped by the police around here. Hopefully I can get to it soon. My wife will be having a baby soon so I may not have the time until we get out of the hospital.

Thanks again.

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:43 PM
|
Overlanding

I did the Seafoam treatment tonight, but unfortunately the cylinder 2 misfire is still there after 40 minutes of driving. You were not kidding when you said it would smoke like hell. I'm glad I did it at night when few were around to see it.

The hesitation that I experienced before when holding a steady speed continues. At higher speeds and when accelerating it is less noticeable or not noticeable at all.

Should I get a leakdown and compression test at this point? Pressure test the cooling system?

Thanks Again

Quick Reply: New Poster - Yet Another Misfire Post