Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rover owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rover owner

Hi, I am the "NEW" owner of an 01 Discovery. I've only had it for one day and there's a few problems. The SRS light stays on,the brake pedal goes a bit futher than it should and now after driving it there some anti-freeze coming from a small hose between the engine and the firewall. Any one have any info? Is this "normal"? Can I fix these myself???

Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 AM
4th Gear

Hi, I am the "NEW" owner of an 01 Discovery. I've only had it for one day and there's a few problems. The SRS light stays on,the brake pedal goes a bit futher than it should and now after driving it there some anti-freeze coming from a small hose between the engine and the firewall. Any one have any info? Is this "normal"? Can I fix these myself???

Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your buy!
Download the Rave Manual first. DO a Search for it.
Also, look for the How to link on bleeding your brakes.
If you know where the leak is--then that is half the battle. Atlantic British .com is a great source for parts. They will be cheaper than your local dealer.
The SRS light might be bigger problem. First would be finding out what code is making the light come on. See if you can get someone with a scanner to give you the code. It could be a sensor--or something bigger.
Do your front driveshaft right away if it has not been done. https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28910
This is what can happen--or you can do some simple preventative work!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coolant leak is coming from one of the two heater core hoses. You can order those or replace with hose from Autozone, etc. I think it is 5/8 inch. If it isn't the hose and is instead one of the pipes coming from the heater core itself, there is a forum discussion thread addressing how to repair the core.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As for the SRS light, buckle and unbuckle the passenger front seat belt a couple of dozen times.
If it is not used very much the sensor inside the buckle will get dirty and can set off the light.
If that does not do it then look at where the front seatbelts bolt to the floor, unhook the electrical connectors and clean them with electrical contact cleaner, let them dry and then hook them back up.
Those are the 2 most common SRS issues for the DII.
If that still does not do it then a trip to a dealer is in order.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling

X2 on the drive shaft. I would hate to see anybody have to invest that kind of money in repairs right after purchasing.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 AM
4th Gear
Default new owner of LRD II

Thanks for all the good tips on the leak. Sorry to take so long to reply back. Is the front drive shaft an off-road issue or is it an everyday driver issue? I'm not goin to lie to all of you,right now I"M starting to get a liitle woried about having purchased this. Should I ????

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM
4th Gear

whats with the drive shafts??

Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Congrats on the purchase...! With time you will find yourself surfing craigs list for the 2nd. one...! IT'S AN ADDICTION

Old 02-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Crawl under the truck and see if you have 3 greasable u-joints on the front driveshaft and if you only have 1 then you want to get your front driveshaft rebuilt... If your driveshaft only has 1 greasable u-joint then with time this can and will happen
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28910

Quick Reply: new rover owner