Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Scanner under $200 reads OBD2 and ABS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine will not read the SRS codes because it says it can not connect. Mine will not clear my ABS code either. (Shuttle valve electric circuit failure) But it does read ABS codes.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
Mine will not read the SRS codes because it says it can not connect. Mine will not clear my ABS code either. (Shuttle valve electric circuit failure) But it does read ABS codes.
That's because its an active fault. You need to fix the circuit and then clear the code.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jthomas
Agreed. Here are some directions I wrote on how to update it:

First you have to update the scanner. You will need a MicroSD card reader.

1. Hook up scanner to any car - turn ignition on.
2. Go to 'Setup' button on scanner.
3. Go to 'About' button on scanner.
4. Write down your Serial Number & Password.
5. Register your product HERE and download the scanner update program HERE. You will need to choose 'MaxiCheck Airbag/ABS' option when registering, then enter your serial number and password you found on the scanner.
6. Install scanner update program. Enter your Autel.us username and password you created when registering the product (not the same as the serial number and scanner password)
7. Remove the black MicroSD card from the right hand of the scanner and plug into your computer via a MicroSD card reader. Most phones use a MicroSD card and they will usually come with a MicroSD adapter that goes into your card reader on your computer.
8. Update your scanner. I choose to update all the different manufacturers - 36 updates in all. You WILL need to stay connected to the internet for this.
9. When finished, it will tell you that all selected manufacturers have been installed. Remove MicroSD card from computer and adapter and reinstall in scanner.
10. Plug back into your OBDII port on your Discovery and it will turn on. Go to ABS/SRS --> European --> Land Rover --> Discovery --> 1998-2004 --> ABS --> Read Codes. Then it will show you your codes and you can also choose to clear them too.

And some pictures:
Any particular reasson it has to be registered as a MaxiCheck Airbag/ABS and not an AL619?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Hello Gents,
Just wanted to confirm that the AutoLink AL619 will read all OBD2 and ABS codes on the Land Rover Discovery 2.

I ordered mine off Amazon for about $185.00. Here is one that is even cheaper.

Autel AL619 OBDII/CAN Scan Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

In order to get mine to work properly I had to download the latest updates from the manufacturer website. Then I was able to scan and clear the ABS codes.

It is my opinion this is a great tool if your looking for an OBD2 scanner and not having to purchase an additional ABS scanner. I have been using the ABS Amigo and it works very well. I just love the fact that I can now have a single unit.
The Autel is the same as I use although it's for the european market (slightly different) and not all of the functions for an LR. There are only two aftermarket analysers that are really comprehensive for an LR and they are they Nanocom and Hawkeye. Both are specific to the LR's only and are comprehensive but if you want to use on another vehicle you have to buy another shed load of software from them at exorbitant cost. They are excellent for all the LR range I believe starting from 1996.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
I don't have any Codes on my DII and doesn't work either. I got this for the DI... Bummer.

I did contact Autel and their Engineering group will take a look at it.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rrc.swb
I don't have any Codes on my DII and doesn't work either. I got this for the DI... Bummer.

Same here. I returned my 619 unit and ordered the Nancocom. The Nanocom is fabulous.... it has additional BCU programming features that has allowed me to turn on daytime running lights, front heated windshield, change seatbelt warning chimes, etc.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by rrc.swb

Talk to Autel directly as they are quite helpful and will help out with an upgrade for the D2 (software upgrade). Bearing in mind the Autel doesn't read and adjust codes as comprehensively as the Nanocom or Hawkeye.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Drifting

I might return my Autel too.

I'm not familiar with the Nanocom. I'll look for it.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kind of frustrated. I went ahead and ordered this because recently I have had a rash of the 3 amigos coming on at all times. I did the ABS fix 3 years ago, the one where you bypass the problem in the circuit and it has been fine up until now.

So it came today and I followed the instructions in the booklet that came with it. I found the SN and the password to register the product and created a User ID at the Autel website.

Attempted to diagnose my ABS issue and it does not even list Land Rover or Jaguar under European manufactures!

When I registered following the Autel instructions I listed it as an AL619 which is what it is. Not sure why one would register it as the 'MaxiCheck Airbag/ABS' option as jthomas suggests. I went back to the registration page and looked and they don't list that anymore but list Maxicheck AbsSrs and when I tried that it said I had entered the wrong model.

The unit is brand new and I don't see any updates for LR so what gives? I also don't see any easy to find download section for updates. Poor website and as it is Saturday a call to the tech support won't be possible.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Chrisinhouston; 03-01-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you install the software from the CD to your PC?
Here is the update that I downloaded when I purchased mine a year ago.
Autel 619 Update

Quick Reply: New Scanner under $200 reads OBD2 and ABS