Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tires for disc II

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new tires for disc II

Need new shoes for my Disc II.

tire size is 255/55R18
Was thinking of the General Tire Grabber AT2?

Any thoughts and/or recommendations?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Mudding

nitro terra grapplers on mine... pretty good

scott

Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the AT2's on for about 50k miles. Has to replace them due to 3 of them getting sidewall damage on a trail ride. I got the Dutatracs and they are significantly better imo. I won't buy nor recommend AT2's anymore.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by girouardrover
Need new shoes for my Disc II.

tire size is 255/55R18
Was thinking of the General Tire Grabber AT2?

Any thoughts and/or recommendations?
Don't let the forum ****'s catch you starting another tire thread, they will lose it.

Here is the skinny for what I have gathered from my tire option thread research on about four different forums. This is not all inclusive by any means, is contingent on your planned on-road/off-road uses for your LR, and will surely be followed by others willing to provide you with good info. This may be more than you are looking for if you are going to stay with the 255/55s and don't go off-road…. in that case just search the existing threads for tire discussions or go to the tire specific forum area on the main page. It is towards the bottom, but hard to miss.

1) Those with the General Grabber AT2 tend to recommend them (except for humroot). They are a good tire. Other options I have found to be widely recommended are the Goodyear Duratrac and Nitto Terra Grappler. If you are looking for a budget tire that is well liked by those running them, the Treadwright line is also an option.

2) I have the Terra Grapplers on my Disco and while they work great for most applications (i.e. highway, snow, rain, moderate off road) are just AT tires. My first deep mud encounter ended up with the tires getting packed and turning into banana peels.

3) Plenty of other options out there though, mostly limited by the amount of money you are willing to spend, and intended use. Sites like tirerack.com provide ratings from independent researchers.

4) Most will recommend getting rid of the 18" wheels and going with 16" wheels if you do any sort of moderate to serious off-roading.

5) The 265/75/16 is the most recommended tire size and requires at least a 2" lift. Don't mess with the body lift, do it right and get a suspension lift. OME, Terra Firma and RTE are the most widely run, based on your budget.

6) Sticking with the 18" wheels and getting bigger tires will lead to even worse gas mileage, reduced capability when airing down, loss of low end torque and damage your diffs, depending again on your wheeling habits. Upgrading to 4.11 gears from your stock 3.54 is recommended as a minimum.

5) With that said, I plan to stay with my 18s, the largest tire/lift combo I have found to be possible is a 3" lift with the 285/65 tire. I am going to get the Treadwright Guarddogs. The 285/65 is a 33" tire and do apparently rub at full wheel lock, but that can be adjusted. Any bigger of a lift requires all sorts of additional money, parts and modifications.

That is all I can provide as the specific brand of tire you should go with is really open to widespread debate, bias and opinion.

Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by far4cges
Don't let the forum ****'s catch you starting another tire thread, they will lose it.
I lost it

Do a search or get some Duratracs. You'll find a LOt of opinions

Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i cant give you specifics, but my friend who has a tire fetish and has worked at sears and firestone for almost a decade says that general tires are garbage.

haha

i bought treadright guard dogs and love em thus far, granted, it hasnt snowed or even rained since i got em! so much for getting my first 4x4!!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:55 PM
4wd Low
Default tires

I like the Goodyear Duratracs on my 18's a nice hybrid all terrain-mud terrain combo as long as you don't mind the noise. I also run the BFG A/T on my 16's and am very happy with those as well plus the white letters look good.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Winching

I'm really liking the yokahama geolander AT tires. 265/60-18 fit with no rubbing and do great off road. Tire rack had them for a song too.