Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs advice on OBD II codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:24 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Newbie needs advice on OBD II codes

I recently acquired a 2001 Discovery II SE with 71,000 miles. It came from LA to Minnesota via truck. I have had it less than 48 hours and the service engine light came on and is amber. I plugged in the code reader and got the following:

It sounds like the first two are oxygen sensor issues. Any thoughts on the others? Any guesses on where to start to fix it? Could it have anything to do with the cold damp weather?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all you need to download the RAVE manual. I don't remember where it is, but it is here in the forum.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you most likely need a new Bosch MAF sensor (in the land rover box) not O2 sensors. First go to the 60k service sticky in the HOW TO section under the DISCOVERY section and do a full maintenance service. What kind of plugs and wires are in your truck?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:34 PM
8th Gear

Ed,

I don't know what plugs and wires are in the truck. I have had it for 48 hours so I haven't had a chance to break into it. I did find another source that said it was probably the MAF and it could be due to a dirty air filter or simply a dirty MAF. It recommended cleaning it with electronics cleaner and putting it back in. Has anybody tried that?

Leadfoot, I have the RAVE CD. Any thoughts on how to use it with the codes? I found the page on replacing the MAF.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM

i suggest you do the 60k service to you truck found in the HOW TO section. if it is still throwing error codes i'm gonna say its your MAF sensor. you can't clean it, its super sensitive doesnt work. replace it with the Bosch MAF in the Land Rover box NOT an aftermarket one or a Bosch not in an LR box.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM

and get some descent plugs and wires. 8mm magnecors from apex performance and bosch +4 plugs.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:12 PM
8th Gear

It might be a few days before I can do this. Is it unsafe or hard on the vehicle to drive it as is?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 PM

no just clear the codes and you should be OK i wouldnt let it go too long though. the computer will adjust the engine according to the O2 readings when its really the fault of the air intake. here is the part http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR7171G.cfm

Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GregE
Ed,

I don't know what plugs and wires are in the truck. I have had it for 48 hours so I haven't had a chance to break into it. I did find another source that said it was probably the MAF and it could be due to a dirty air filter or simply a dirty MAF. It recommended cleaning it with electronics cleaner and putting it back in. Has anybody tried that?

Leadfoot, I have the RAVE CD. Any thoughts on how to use it with the codes? I found the page on replacing the MAF.
First, I question a couple of your code numbers, the 1100 and the 4, as far as my lists show, there are no such faults. the other 2 codes refer to the fact that both heads are running lean, which could be a MAF, but I would wait on paying a couple hundred dollars on that till you check/replace your filter, check for any vacuum leaks and recheck the codes again in a couple of days.
By the way, how is the truck running right now?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
8th Gear

Mike,

Thanks for joining in.

To answer your question, the truck is running fine. It idles good, accelerates good, no knocking, etc. The only thing to suggest that something is wrong is the service light.

I found through a Google search that the 0004 code means fuel volume regulator circuit high and the 1100 means MAF intermittent. Who knows if the source is legit.

I checked the air filter yesterday and it looked pretty clean. Maybe I should change it anyway. Is there a thread or "How to" that shows how to check for vacuum leaks? I have the RAVE CD but am still getting used to navigating through it.

Thanks,
Greg

Quick Reply: Newbie needs advice on OBD II codes