Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help!

Hey folks. I'm Jake, 19 from Vermont. I'm looking to purchase my 1st Rover. My mother briefly had a 03' Disco SE7 a number of years ago for about a month. I was 15 at the time and I loved it. I currently have a BMW M3. I just can not deal with it anymore. I'm 6'7 and I live in Vermont which isn't ideal for a RWD sports car. There is no freedom in it (track days will be missed). I remembered how much I loved driving and even riding in my Mom's disco. I did a few quick searches on a few sites online and found "the one" which is an 03' SE. I am just wondering, are rovers that bad to own? I can do my own work which is not a problem. I've grown up around mechanics and have partaken in my fair share of wrenching. The fuel mileage seems to be about 12 miles combined driving. Which is okay with me, as I do not average much better in my little 2 door BMW. Maintenance seems alright if you do a list of preventive maintenance which I do not mind besides a $600 oil pump and a transmission stabbing drive shaft. What shall I turn and run from while checking it out that is Land Rover specific?

Any insight or tips from your first rover purchase would be helpful!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 PM
2nd Gear

Hey Newbie. I was at a Land Rover dealership not too long ago. The salesman made a gaff that is rather typical for some newbie salesmen. The salesman said, "Land Rover had a bad reputation, but they are better now." Wow. Why would he stick his big foot in his mouth? Is that a way to sell a Range Rover?

Land Rovers are special vehicles that many Land Rover enthusiastis love to drive. Go look at eBay to research your next "new" Land Rover. It is surprising to see all the high miles on all those older Range Rovers, Discoveries, Defenders, and early Series vehicles. I have a 1993 Range Rover County LWB with over 186,000 miles on the clock, but there are other Land Rovers with a lot more mileage.

I would prefer to have a lower-mile Range Rover Classic, but there are so many Range Rover Classics out there that have odometer digits equivalent to Honda miles. As a whole, Land Rover owners are more knowledgeable about maintainence of thier vehicles. You do have to keep an eye on the machinery, and if you stay up with maintainence, your Land Rover should not let you down. I have a 1973 Series III with over 400K miles, that I drove to Cabo San Lucas.

Go ahead and find yourself a Land Rover. You know you want it. You know you need it. Have fun!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 PM
5th Gear

I've fallen in love with this one here:

2003 Land Rover Discovery On-Road/Off-Road Truck

Mileage isn't too too high it seems and I like working on my cars. Just not paying for the parts Seems they are similar to the reliably of a VW/Audi. Just do the basic maintenance on time and the few quirks and you'll get some great mileage out of it. Its a beautiful machine!