Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question about oil.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question about oil.

Hi everyone, it's been quite sometime now and I've been letting my local service center do all the oil changing for me. I would like to do it my self now, inspired by the forum here . I've read the step by step details and i'll try to do them when the time comes. I have a 1997 300 TDI Disco with 66 ,000 miles. I'm in the medical profession and I have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to mechanical stuff. Forgive me for my ignorance, but is the motor oil used for gas engines the same motor oil that is used for diesel engines? TIA

Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Newbie question about oil.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. You wont know if you dont ask.
No, diesel oil is not the same as gas engine oil. You cna use diesel oil in a gas engine but not gas oil in a diesel, to much soot. It will wear out the oil faster than it should.
Read the back of the bottle, it will say wether or not it can be used in a diesel engine.
I dont know where you live, but Shell Rotella is a good diesel motor oil, 15w-40.
Most full synthetic motor oils can be used in light to medium duty diesels, which is what you have, light duty. Medium duty would be a large delivery van. Heavy duty would be a semi truck, ship, bus, locomotive, etc.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Mudding

Thanks Spike555, I live in the Philippines (tropical climate) I'll look for your recommended diesel oil. Are the oil filters different as well?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Overlanding

Hi DiscoRom! yes you will find a lot of those diesel oils in a tropical climate like the Philippines. As Spike555 mentioned Shell Rotella 15w-40 is very good that's what I use for my Mitsubishi Pajero diesel 2.8 back there. As a matter of fact you can get it at ACE hardware in metro manila....... mabuhay!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Mudding

Thanks Strrvr, glad to hear from a fellow Kababayan.
Ill check it out.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Mudding

I just checked the motor oil container that the local service gave and its for a gasoline engine 20W 50 !
I had it changed since July 2007. Should I get another change oil service ASAP?

To recap what Spike555 said...
No, diesel oil is not the same as gas engine oil. You cna use diesel oil in a gas engine but not gas oil in a diesel, to much soot. It will wear out the oil faster than it should.
Read the back of the bottle, it will say wether or not it can be used in a diesel engine.

Should I be worried?

Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Overlanding

Return it and ask for a 15w-40 grade oil, if you look at the container you will find something written stating that the oil are for Diesel engines only. Check out the Castrol brand, am sure you will find one for a Diesel engine there in Manila. Mabuhay ka kababyan!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Mudding

Since its been in my engine for 5 months now, I guess Ill have another oil change with castrol or Rotella brand.
Thanks bro.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry I couldnt get back to you last night, Castrol diesel oil would be my first choice, Shell my second and Mobil Delvac my third choice.

And yes, oil filters vary also. You cannt get a gas engine oil filter for a diesel, so as long as you get a name brand oil filter for your truck you will be fine.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Mudding

Thanks Spike555, I'll buy Castrol OR Shell Diesel Motor oil and diesel oil filter later, how many liters?
and should I be worried that the previous motor oil given is 20W 50? Whats the worst thing that can happen to my engine. Where I come from there are only a handful for LR service centers compared to Japanese counterparts and they are not that cheap. Owning a rover is like adding another member of the family

Quick Reply: Newbie question about oil.