Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newer seats for my 96 Disco I

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer seats for my 96 Disco I

Hi There. I recently purchased a 96 Disco (Only $1000) that needs some seat love and am hope I can put a series II or even III set of seats. If there is some minore fab I don't have a problem w/ that. I figure I can rewire the heat mech. if the fittment will work. Thanks all any help is appreciated. Rick.

Attached Thumbnails Newer seats for my 96 Disco I-96-land-rover-disco-i.jpg  
Old 03-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont know if they will fit or not.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that D2 seats will work. I highly doubt seats from an LR3 will fit since it was a major redesign of the vehicle. Plus the seats from an LR3 would probably cost you twice what your truck is worth.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:59 AM
Three Wheeling

We actually did this to my '97. My front seats were worn and I really loved the idea of having arm rests on the seats so we took a shot at the Series II seats. It takes some work but it is doable. There is some machining involved. The tracks are designed a little different so it wouldn't fit directly into the original location. It's hard to explain without pics right now but if I remember correctly the Series I floorboards have raised mounts that flush the seat track. However, in Series II those raised mounts are actually part of the seat track. This created some cutting of the mounts out. I am not too experienced in this area so I took it to a body shop and they did the cutting and mounted the front seats for me. We did the rear ourselves which basically involved lining up, marking and bolting through the body. Be sure to get the locking bar for the rear seats that mounts on the floor. I believe the bar on Disco I wouldn't fit the Disco II seats. Wiring took some electrical experience from a friend of mine and we basically spliced together the wiring harnesses after identifying what all the wires did. I believe we used a wiring diagram from rave on both Disco I and II to aid in this. There is one issue with the way the shop mounted the seats. The furthest back seat location is a "normal" sitting position. I'm not sure if this could be avoided with more careful planning in the machining part, like I said, someone else put the front seats in. Lucky for me the seat in the back position is perfect for my normal sitting position. I'm 5'9' about 155lbs. for a reference. If you are of larger frame you might want to look into this so you dont end up cramping yourself. There is a lot of work to do, it doesn't just drop in but it is definitely doable. There are a few rough edges that you can only notice if you know where to look but i am very pleased with them. My goal were the armrests and I have them now.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:52 AM
4wd Low

I am not sure if ou checked out roverlandparts.com. They sell salvaged rover parts in pretty darn good condition. I have ordered parts from them and have been very happy. I would give them a call and discuss the quality of the seats, etc... I put the link to their seats below:

http://www.roverlandparts.com/seating.aspx