Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newish member

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 06:18 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
I'm in Ashburn if you need advice. Or, you can buy mine for $20k and be done. Lol.
good to know, glad to have someone nearby-ish.

if I had $20k….I don’t know what I’d buy honestly. Spend it all getting my land cruiser fixed so I have more than 1.5 cars readily drive able and could focus on the discovery as the sole project car?

Old 07-19-2022, 09:43 AM
Drifting

A month has gone by and the rover has sat, I started it a week or two ago. With my snap on battery booster/charger hooked up it starts, I did notice the + terminal is loose, but batter is in bad shape.
Discovered the gas tank flap doesn't open via the button inside.
I'm back and forth between scrapping it, but right now it so far hasn't cost me $ to let it sit in the back yard. I confirmed there is a lift on it, so the extra set of 265/70/16s I have laying around are now a candidate to be put on to replace the ?? year old tires on there.
I am curious if anyone has done a headliner replacement with some cool fabric? I searched here and google and have seen maybe 3 or 4 threads with pics, so perhaps it isn't common as opposed to just painting the headliner, which is boring. . . .
My plan is to drop the headliner and use some high strength (roofing tar perhaps?) sealant around the sun roofs to stop leaks. PO caulked on the outside, I will peel it up and redo his work as well. I don't really open the sunroof so not too concerned about losing the functionality, I may just cover it up when I redo the headliner.
Stay tuned..

Last edited by ivbyiv; 07-19-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:11 AM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

I haven’t done the headliner on my D2 yet but did it on my P38. No cool fabric though, just got as close to the original as I could. It was a bit finicky and time consuming but not a difficult job. I know there are quite a number of P38 threads on how to do it, I’m sure the D2 would be very similar.

The following users liked this post:
ivbyiv (07-19-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 05:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by ivbyiv
A month has gone by and the rover has sat, I started it a week or two ago. With my snap on battery booster/charger hooked up it starts, I did notice the + terminal is loose, but batter is in bad shape.
Discovered the gas tank flap doesn't open via the button inside.
I'm back and forth between scrapping it, but right now it so far hasn't cost me $ to let it sit in the back yard. I confirmed there is a lift on it, so the extra set of 265/70/16s I have laying around are now a candidate to be put on to replace the ?? year old tires on there.
I am curious if anyone has done a headliner replacement with some cool fabric? I searched here and google and have seen maybe 3 or 4 threads with pics, so perhaps it isn't common as opposed to just painting the headliner, which is boring. . . .
My plan is to drop the headliner and use some high strength (roofing tar perhaps?) sealant around the sun roofs to stop leaks. PO caulked on the outside, I will peel it up and redo his work as well. I don't really open the sunroof so not too concerned about losing the functionality, I may just cover it up when I redo the headliner.
Stay tuned..
High strength sealant is not what is needed to stop the leaks, you need to drop the pans and seal the leaks. Here is the how to: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...81/#post713877

ivbyiv (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Awesome, thanks for this. Quick glance over and it seems pretty self explanitory

Old 12-17-2022, 11:32 PM
Drifting

Well folks an update.
threw in the towel and ended up selling the disco, made $100 off it so hey.

however, driving down the road today I saw a black disco II sitting in someone’s driveway where it was 2 years ago.

Dropped a letter in the mail to them, so let’s see if they ever respond 🧐

Old 12-18-2022, 09:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

you made the right choice. Now for your next DISCO purchase, check the frame first, and work your way up.....don't buy a cheap POS, buy a cheap GOOD disco

ivbyiv (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 03:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by XRAD
you made the right choice. Now for your next DISCO purchase, check the frame first, and work your way up.....don't buy a cheap POS, buy a cheap GOOD disco
that’s the thought. So long as it isn’t frame work or HG work I’m inclined to try. Not that I need another project car but these things are neat

Old 12-20-2022, 02:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Welcome to the insanity! I love that color! Do you have ACE?

As for the frame, I’d just buy a new one and go from there. That process in and of itself will teach you an immeasurable amount on the platform and help as you work through the other issues.

You’ll have probably over $10k in it to make it right, but once you get it cleaned up and sorted out, you’ll love it like no other. You’ll get really frustrated and want to cheap out or hurry things along, but if you are patient and do things correctly, you’ll have a blast.

Old 12-21-2022, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by longtallsally
Welcome to the insanity! I love that color! Do you have ACE?

As for the frame, I’d just buy a new one and go from there. That process in and of itself will teach you an immeasurable amount on the platform and help as you work through the other issues.

You’ll have probably over $10k in it to make it right, but once you get it cleaned up and sorted out, you’ll love it like no other. You’ll get really frustrated and want to cheap out or hurry things along, but if you are patient and do things correctly, you’ll have a blast.
Appreciate the encouragement, however I sold the Disco back in July.
I want to try and find another when the time is right, although I am very partial to the L320s and LR3s, so we will see. I need another project like a hole i the head but he who dies with the most wins right?

Quick Reply: Newish member