Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmare trying to sell my Discovery II in San Diego CA area

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm going through this right now with mine, getting it ready to sell.

A non-heated windshield is about $300, heated is about $600. That's for a Plinkton (or however it's spelled) windshield, which is the OEM for LR.

Good luck
RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Ah well.
I may as well keep it for a few months.
Until I know if I am laid off or not.
I may end up next in snow country.
You just never know.

Wonder how I can find that fancy OEM heated windshield the Plinkington?

My worry is that any windshield place just puts in a made in China windshield and I get ripped off.

Without exact information on getting the OEM replacement, I have been delaying replacing the windshield.

I seem to collect flying rocks.

The previous owner actually did get hit by a rock way up by the roof line.

Then when I first got the Discovery II I was obsessed with making it look very clean.

The third trip through the car wash cracked the windshield from the hot water hitting it.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Jfall - Plinkington windshield's aren't that hard to find. I'd suggest (1) look up window installers in yelp and look for several with good reviews. (2) Call 'em up and ask them for a quote, and ask also if they can get Plinkington windshields. In my case (having the windshield installed today) I went with an alternative because I didn't want to wait a week or two for the Plinkington and I'm sellng it anyway.

I hear ya on the layoff front. Seems like every 3 months there's new layoff rumors at my company. It's been that way since I started working professionally ~ 15 years ago! Oh well - hang in there!

RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
And taking it a to Pepboys is a joke. I just had them put tires on my truck an I was worried they'd screw something up.
Not trying to hijack this thread and turn it into an anti Pepboys rant but I would agree. My rig came with their Definity tires and road hazard certificates. I took it there because one tire had had a steel belt inside detach making it undrivable and I figured they could rebalance and rotate the tires. I informed the manager who wrote up my ticket that they should not use the air gun on my lug nuts and to make sure they used the correct size 6 pt socket. He said they never used impact tools on lug nuts.

I took a seat, couldn't see my rig from the office but I was the only vehicle in the bay. Next I am hearing the zip of the air wrench. Pretty soon the mechanic comes in and tells me that he could only get 3 of my 4 locking LR lug nuts off as the keyed socket had broken. Said he might have to really tear up the remaining nut to get it off. Not much I could do and I had the original lug nuts at home to swap out. Lots of banging and air wrench work and the finally get the lug nut off.

After 2 hours they are done and I got a new tire for a pro rated $80. Got home and checked all of my LR lug nuts and find that now my 1 1/16 socket will no longer fit as they used a bigger socket and bent the metal covers!

Next day I thought I had better check my air pressure to be sure they have correctly adjusted for the rotation... NOT! One front tire has 40psi and the other 34, old tire on back has 28 and new tire has 32! I usually use Discount Tires here in Texas for out other cars and they always do an air pressure check as they torque the lug nuts.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Not to interrupt the thread... but Pilkington