Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No amount of bleeding is fixing the water fall sound coming from the heater core.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
Heater core isn't leaking as far as I can tell. No moisture on the windows or carpet. And here's the kicker... the coolant level isn't changing.
Disregard any recommendations for part changes until you find out the cause. Smart people dont pay people to swap parts, they pay people to fix the broken part. Dont be a part swapper.

You can pressurize the system which will tell you if you have an issue. Local parts stores will loan you the tools.

I have an extreme hill behind my yard that leads into the river. I park on that hill when I bleed my truck. Its quick, no issues.

Putting the truck on jack stands is not high enough imo.

Find a hill, park it front up.

Let it idle. Turn the heat on. Watch the gauge. You can do things like step on the gas, squeeze the hoses which will help flow.

If you really need insurance, put your stat in a pot of water and verify it is opening.

Borrow or buy a motor scope which is a small camera that you can feed into your radiator or heater core to see what the internal condition is. It will help you determine if its clogged.

Use super flush.

Use garden hose, back flush.

Read your spark plugs, smell your spark plugs. Stick the microscope in the combustion chamber and see what it looks like in there...

What temp does it go to when it idles?

Old 06-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Add the coolant straight into the tee instead of the tank. I use a turkey baster.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:54 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Yes +1. Add coolant directly into T when the engine is cold. Replace screw before you start engine.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
I’m all out of ideas. I’ve bled and bled and bled, on uphill slopes and level ground. Some days this week the water fall noise was gone, other days like today it comes back. Temps are between 188 and 196. The only cooling system component I haven’t replaced in the last couple weeks is the water pump. Is there any way this could be a cause? It’s very audibly confirmed to be at least pushing coolant around.
I had the same problem. Check your expansion tank cap, my seal was sliced in half. Even if yours doesn’t look bad they are only 20 bucks at advanced auto and that’s what did it for me.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 417 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bertha
I had the same problem. Check your expansion tank cap, my seal was sliced in half. Even if yours doesn’t look bad they are only 20 bucks at advanced auto and that’s what did it for me.
I forgot to mention I replaced that too along with all the other project items.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Throttle Body Heater Plate still installed? Common place for air to enter the cooling system if it’s seeping. I still believe keeping it installed on a D2/P38 = disaster waiting to happen.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 417 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Throttle Body Heater Plate still installed? Common place for air to enter the cooling system if it’s seeping. I still believe keeping it installed on a D2/P38 = disaster waiting to happen.
Yep, it's still installed. All that to say, I'm going to do a pressure test and maybe even make a little write-up for it. The test should identify that as a leak, yeah?

Old 06-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Yep if it’s leaking you’ll know it with a pressure test. Just don’t go over 16PSI.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like you've done quite a lot already. Maybe double check that all hose clamps are tight. Outside chance- had a hose once that it turned out would balloon under load and allow that little bit of air in. Not likely, but it happens. Keep at it though, you'll get it.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

perhaps you are sucking air into the heater core via a flaky connection somewhere. Check all the connections and clamps for total continuity. soapy water in a spray bottle may help though that is generally better for pressure-side discovery.

Quick Reply: No amount of bleeding is fixing the water fall sound coming from the heater core.