Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Brakes. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Brakes. HELP

Dont have anyone fimilair with land rover to work on my truck, been looking for long time, here in flint.. anyway.. Brakes went out, took it to muffler man. They said i needed new master cylinder, two new front calipers, ordered the parts, they put them on. Worked well. Now a week later, there going out again. First at a slow stop, it would push to the floor slowly, still stoping though. Now its going to the floor just by pressing while standing still. Fuid is fine. I have no choice to take it back in and have it looked at, but hoping someone can tell me something to suggest for them so they know what to look at. Also, if anyone can help me find someone within 20 miles of flint to work on my LR. can find anyone who knows anything.

posted as poll, wouldnt let me do normal post

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No Brakes. HELP

Have you ever bled brakes before??

Seems to me like you need to bleed the master cylinder..

If your not loosing fluid, and the pedal is going to the floor and the MC is new, they I would assume youve got some air in the system...

Get in the truck while its parked and push the pedal to the floor several times and then get out and have a good look behind each wheel and see if you can find any fluid..

Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You took your Disco to a Midas shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes you get what you pay for. What did you pay, exactly for each part and labor, were the parts used, new Rover, new after market or rebuilt and did they use DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid??
Have you checked to see if you are loosing any brake fluid, do you know how to bleed the brakes?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Mudding

We have a saying here in Fort Worth..."Life is too short to live in Dallas."

Well, everytime I see that on a sign or T-shirt I think back to my younger years and remember thinking - life is too short to live in Flint, Mi...

I escaped my hometown of Flint in 1975.

Anyway, as to your brake problem, God only knows what the muffler shop did. Mike suggested several good questions to get answered and I would start there, perhaps the same shop, or you, can bleed the brakes and see if that corrects the problem.In the future, don't let someone work on your truck that is making $7or$8 bucks and hour.

Going forward, you need to search around for a good inependent shop BEFORE you have your next problem. Make calls ordrop by REAL (not chain) auto repair shops and ask to be directed to a shop or mechanic that specializes in Land Rover and/or other Euro brands. Most places won't have a problem referring you to the appropriate shop. Don't be shy, stop by the shop and ask questions, look at what they are working on and what is sitting around getting serviced. The Northern suburbs of Detroit might be your best bet. Many more Disco driving soccer moms down there with money to keep a shop like that in business. If at all possible, they should also havea LR test book to trouble shoot your truck.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

took it there because it was where the brakes went out, calipers are from roverlandparts.com and the master cylinder is from roverguy.com i just got a call from them that said the master cylinder is bad. I suppose i should take it to another place and have them look at it? I wroteroverguy and told them that it was toldto be defective after install. I did not yet ask if they used dot 3 or dot 4. if they used 3, would they have destroyed the master cylinder. If so, how do i find out if they used 3 even if they said they used 4.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
There is absolutly nothing wrong with taking your LR to a Midas, Muffler Man, Tuffy etc. for brake /suspension/exhaust work.
ALL BRAKES WORK THE SAME WAY!!
Master cylinder pressurises the brake fluid and the calipers squeeze the rotors stopping the car, thats how they work on EVERY car and a shop that does nothing but brakes all day everyday knows what they are doing.
His new master cylinder went bad, its not the shops fault.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling

roverguy wrote me back and asked me if i replaced the O-Ring. I did not replace my O-Ring, would this cause my situation?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Mudding

The part should be warrantied but since you providedit to the shop it's your responsibility (IMO) to return and exchange the master cylinder.I'd talk to the shop and ask that they cut you some slack price-wiseto pull and replace it.Asfor the type brake fluid they used, that should be specified on your work order or invoice.

When you have work done always insist that they completely list the parts and labor provided along with the specific work performed on the vehicle.Necessary to have it if you endup in adispute with the shop and also nice to have when you sell thevehicle. If I buy a vehicle from someone and he tells me an expensive maintenance item was done, buthas no paperwork to prove it, it never happened as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck! You'll get it taken care of and all of your futuremaintenancewill go much smoother.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Spike555

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
There is absolutly nothing wrong with taking your LR to a Midas, Muffler Man, Tuffy etc. for brake /suspension/exhaust work.
ALL BRAKES WORK THE SAME WAY!!
Master cylinder pressurises the brake fluid and the calipers squeeze the rotors stopping the car, thats how they work on EVERY car and a shop that does nothing but brakes all day everyday knows what they are doing.
His new master cylinder went bad, its not the shops fault.

Well, would I take my Disco to Midas to get some exhaust work done? Possibly, if I had no other choice. Would I take my Disco to Just Brakes to have brake work done? Less possible, unless I had no other option. If I have the option to go somewhere else I will because I have less chance of getting some 19 year old kid screwing with my truck who just started last week after he quit working at Burger King. I also want someone working on my truck who has the parts needed, or access to them, and has the proper tools and test equipment to do the job. If I'm paying real money I want a real professional andyou get that at an established shop wth an experienced, certified mechanicyou'veestablished along-term relationship with.Honest, knowledgeable, hardworking mechanics are out there, I suggest that 99LRDisc finds one.that's just me though, the guy who doesn't trust an oil change to Jiffy Lube....LOL

Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am with you, I have my local Muffler Man do alot of work for me, I buy the parts and they do the work.
But these guys are mechanics...no peach fuzz under their noses.
I suppose that I should gave clarified, Midas is fine as long as you know it is not the kid who got fired from BK last week for smoking dope workikng on your car.

But all things being equal brakes are brakes.

Quick Reply: No Brakes. HELP