Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Forward Gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:39 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Forward Gears

Hello all, been a 99' Disco 2 owner since January. I've done a decent amount of work on it, but finally got to the point where error codes were gone and all I had left was the Three Amigos. Well, a couple weeks ago, I was driving about 45, then I took a left at a light, where I lost power and the M and S lights flashed. I pulled over, and there was a rough idle. I tried to put it back in gear, but would not go in any forward gear. Everything I read said to check the battery. It was less than a year old, but the charge was not where it was at, so I charged the battery and the voltage was back in range, but since then, I only have reverse. I have no forward thrust in gears whatsoever. I changed the tranny fluid, and I'm thinking I need to divert my attention next to the front and rear differentials and changing their fluid. Has anyone ever come across this issue? What would be the process of elimination to determine the issue? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I am still learning, and I do have a code reader. The codes that showed up right after this happened were P0733 and P0722, if that helps to discover the issue. Thank you in advance, and despite the struggle, I love the Disco. Want to get 'er fixed up for summer here in Utah!

Old 04-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I just Googled this and read a few older threads that suggest checking your voltage.
Possible battery or alternator issue
That may be easier to check and eliminate than digging into the TC or Trans.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:46 PM
4wd Low

Already ruled those two possibilities out. Alternator and battery are new. I looked through the forum and found the issue may be fluid loss from the transfer case or the differentials, which I will check tomorrow. I'll start with the transfer case.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Have you cleared the codes? Do they return? MS still flashing?

The sudden rough idle along with the MS flash seems more electrical than mechanical. And if you still have R, then the TC is probably OK. I would look at the trans before the TC, personally. It's unlikely you would suddenly lose the diff without some warning, grinding, whining, etc. Verify that you are not dry, and if not, move on. You say the batt and alt are new, have you confirmed solid connections all around?

I don't have personal experience with those codes, but I think they are speed sensor related. Again sounds electrical.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I had a weird occurence this weekend. Driving on a long trip, suddenly m&s lights flashing, cam sensor fault code, engine missing, radiator cutting on and off. I get out and check and the alternator cable is touching the exhaust manifold, saw spark. Taped it out of the way and everything was fine.

That said, your codes are symptomatic of a burnt out A clutch. No drive in forward, but works in reverse. The two codes are symptomatic of the engine turning but nothing at the output shaft.

Have an 02 that had the same no drive in forward. Engine is out now because it needed hg anyway, A clutch was completely gone. I will post some photos tomorrow. Not a terribly hard repair after the transmission or engine are out.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Red5
Have you cleared the codes? Do they return? MS still flashing?

The sudden rough idle along with the MS flash seems more electrical than mechanical. And if you still have R, then the TC is probably OK. I would look at the trans before the TC, personally. It's unlikely you would suddenly lose the diff without some warning, grinding, whining, etc. Verify that you are not dry, and if not, move on. You say the batt and alt are new, have you confirmed solid connections all around?

I don't have personal experience with those codes, but I think they are speed sensor related. Again sounds electrical.
the M and S lights and the error codes have not returned, it was only when that initial issue happened while turning. There was not a lot of oil in the transfer case, and I’m going to refill that up, as well as the differentials.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Here is a pic of the clutches - external teeth are the steels, interior teeth are the fiber disc - note only one still has material on it, the rest all the material is gone down to the steel center. It is the weak point on the 4HP22, but also the very first clutch in the tranny, so not that hard to get to.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM
4wd Low

So, I switched out the oil from the TC, and it still only goes in reverse. But something is definitely up, because the M and S lights came back on flashing, as well as the Drive, and I pulled the code P0500. Any clues? I am at a loss.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:32 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Wouldn’t the xyz switch give these problems. I would start there

Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Lots of info about the xyz switch here and on google.
You can try just loosen the bolts and wiggle it a bit

Quick Reply: No Forward Gears