Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Heat At Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Heat At Idle

Hello team,

My Disco has been suffering from the same problem for a few weeks now: When it idles, the air coming from the heating-core radiator is cold, and if I rev it up to 1,500 RPM +, it grows warm.

I of course thought I had an air-locked heating-core, but I had it flushed on Friday, and it does the same thing.

Here is the strange part: He said that if you take the hose off the heater core, when it's idling NO water comes out- at most, a faint trickle comes out. But as soon as you rev it up, it sprayed water.

So....

What do you guys think?

He suggested that perhaps the blades on the water pump were wore down, but this seems strange to me.

Any ideas, detectives?

THANK YOU!

Pat

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

sound like you need to bleed the cooling system properly, there's a good write up in our how-to section, after that.....check for leaks

Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Winching

My theory is an air-lock as well, but he assures me that a "back-flush" would take care of it... Still, I'll mention that to him later today.

Thanks for the response!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend the money to have a block gas check run.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Winching

I like spending money

I'll ask them if they offer that service- I've never heard of it. I'm guessing they drain the coolant and pressure the system up with some gas that will identify leaks?

THANKS!

Pat

Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco2Fever
I like spending money

I'll ask them if they offer that service- I've never heard of it. I'm guessing they drain the coolant and pressure the system up with some gas that will identify leaks?

THANKS!

Pat
No, they will remove a little coolant and place a device over the expansion tank cap opening and run the engine. If combustion gases are present in the cooling system, the solution in the device will turn yellow.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Winching

I googled you: www.btlrovers.com

You're only a few hours from me. If I get the 2004 limping by, would you be interested in me bringing both my Rovers down for a few days for some intensive work?

My 2000 needs plugs, wires, and general maintenance. The 2004 needs a bit of work as well.

My wife and I could just get a hotel, or cruise up to Hillsdale, MI and visit some people for a day or two.

Let me know what you think:

pkilchermann@gmail.com

Thanks,

Pat

Old 02-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Never assume anything when it comes to a Rover. I would stop driving the truck till you can have a Rover mechanic, not the dealer, pressure test the coolant system, sounds like you have a good coolant leak, most likely head gaskets.
Let us know what they find and the estimate.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Mudding

Pat-I'd be happy to host you and take a quick look at your truck. Depending upon what we find, there is a B&B two doors down.

If we strike while the iron is still hot, we might be able to save your engine.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but my experiences in the past month have led me to feel this way. In the past month, I have conducted four head jobs and have two engines to replace and a potential to have to do a third. As a result, I'm telling everyone to park their DIIs the instant they start to have problems like yours to limit the damage.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Mudding

Pat-I sent you an e-mail about the local B&B. Your coming to visit might just be beneficial to me as I'll have to go introduce myself to the woman who runs the B&B.

Cheers,
PT

Quick Reply: No Heat At Idle