Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No idle, stalling, but will run in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No idle, stalling, but will run in gear

2002 LR DII, 150K mi. About 8 months ago, driving down interstate lost power, meaning car slowing down and pushing on gas pedal does nothing. Pulled over and engine died. Tried to restart. Could get engine to run very roughly if i constantly fed it fuel, but once that stopped the engine would die. Checked fuel pump and it was okay. Removed fuel rail and injectors and cleaned them. Upon installation, truck ran fine. Was told it was dirty gas.
Several months later, on a rainy day, while parked with engine running, engine died. Tried to restart and same thing happed as months earlier. Truck sat for 1hr, started right up with no issues.
3 months later, on a rainy day, truck parked in idle, died after a few minutes. Tried to restart with no luck. Truck sat for 2 hours, started right up. Drove in the rain and about 5 miles out the truck lost power, pulled over and engine died. Tried to restart with no luck. Opened hood and checked all connections figuring something to do with water/rain. Wiped off all wiring connectors, tried truck and started right up. No further issues on the 140 mile drive back.
4 months later, while driving in the rain, truck lost power on interstate again. Pulled over and it died. Wiped off all connections and truck started up. Ran for about 10 miles and did the same thing. Wiped everything off, engine started after a couple of attempts and went on my way. Noticed that something did not seem right. Pulled off at a rest stop, and when I took out of gear to park, engine died. Engine started right up but seemed rough, then died. Started again and gave it gas, was rough if i flooded the pedal, but if i slowly gave it gas would rev right up. if I reved it up to 4k, let it fall to 2.5K, then hammer the pedal, really struggled, minor backfire and began to drop rpms, but if I let up and then slowly gave it gas it would move smoothly.
If i would tap the gas pedal, the engine would idle low and a little rough, around 500 rpm. if I gave it gas and then let it fall, the engine would die. If i could get it to hold idle, i would put it in gear and as long as I gave it gas slowly, the truck would run almost normal. if I got caught up in traffic and slowed down, then tried to quickly accelerate the engine would bog down. i would let up on the gas and slowly accelerate then it would run almost normal.
Did seem to shift gears roughly, and I would definately feel it slip into first gear when stopping vehicle, something i have never felt before. If at a stop, i put truck in Neutral or Park, the engine will die, wont idle. If i restart and play with fuel pedal, i can get it to idle, then slip it into gear and it will run, a little rough, but won't die while in gear, starting and stopping.
I have cleaned the injectors, replaced the plugs, checked the fuel pump.
I am not a mechanic but do a lot of work myself. Seems like it could be a vaccum issue? Sure seems to be related to rain/water. Of course it has been raining for 3 days so I have yet to see if problem will disappear once the wetness stops.
Anybody have any idea?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No idle, stalling, but will run in gear

I had a similar problem due to a sunroof leak. The water was following the harness on the right side of the truck down the A-pillar and into the large connector on the outer side of the passenger foot well. Fixing the leak solved it for me. Good luck, intermittent problems involving rain are never any fun.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Any codes at all while this has been happening?
I possible item that can give you a stall/start issue is the crank sensor.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:25 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I have an identical 2002 DII with a blown engine, waiting to raise the 10K to put a new engine in it. After reading posts for 6 hours I decided to remove the MAF from the blown engine and put in on the running one. Runs like it is ready for the Indy 500.

Mike, since you seem to have the most knowledge from what I read based on your shop experience, can a MAF malfunction cause a complete shut down of fuel while driving? I am still trying to determine if it is just bad luck myinjectorspossibly got clogged on my past service issues or if it has been an intermittent MAF malfunction the entire time?

Put 300 miles on it today with no issues. My check engine lite is on, as well as ABS and TC, so a code may have popped up. I have never tried to correct the 3 amigos as the only thing that doesn'toperate is the TC, abs is fine. I am sure it was caused by brake dustor something disabling a wheel speed sensor, will worry about that on the next brake job.

Mike, again, is it worth itto purchase high end rotors that aredrilled out to reduce heat. I didhave my rotors turned and they warped again, and after reading your postI know I haveto purchase new. Do you also recommend ceramic brake pads if one wants to spend the money?

thanks again.

Mark in Kansas City