Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Movement after T-case swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Movement after T-case swap

Ok so I have a 99 Disco II that I just got done replacing the T-case in.
I did everything I could think of along the way to make sure I put it all back together the way it came out. Replaced all the oil seals. Tranny seals .fluids etc etc..
A Real joy to do the first time. So I was all fired up tonight to get it out of the garage and Nothing. Rover won't move and more frustrating is that the HI-Low shifter won't budge. Picked up the case from Marty at ichopimports so I'm convinced I have a good case.
Any clues of what is going on?
Ready to blow my head off after all the hours I put in.
Any input would be welcome!!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Case is in neutral.
You need to rock the truck a bit - have people push you backwards just a few feet and keep pressure on the High / Low lever.
The case is probably in N.
If the T-case is in N - or the middle - you are not gong to move.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 PM
TReK

Also - if one of the drive shafts is off - you will not move.
You need to have both drive shafts on.

TO do on only one drive shaft, you need to put the T-case into CDL.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Mudding

Thanks, have both shafts on. I looked at the diagram on the tcase before i put it in and it certainly looked like it was in H but maybe its in N. Is there usually an adjustment that needs to be made when swapping out the t=cases? I left the cable that came with the used ( new) case on and it line up perfectly to my lever which is showing it's in H ,
I did try rocking it back and forth a few feet and nothing. I'll let it roll back and try it again as maybe I didn't roll back far enough ,,,,, but if it does go forward ( the shifter) it would go toward N and L so idk i'm stumped. Would a bad tranny ( although my tcase was definitely toast) not allow for tcase shifting? Just an fyi the old tcase went through all 3 slots perfectly even though it was fried. I also put the car in park and tried to push it and it didn't budge. I put it in N and it rolled fine. Neither Prop shaft is turning with the car in D . I had Zero problems with it prior to the car just dying one day as if it was in N. I think you chimed in on the t-case pic but here it is again..........

Attached Thumbnails No Movement after T-case swap-gbtranny.jpg  

Last edited by parkerlander; 03-04-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Mudding

ok still no luck with getting the tcase to move out of gear. Rover still won't move. Pulled code p0722 . Speed sensor. have flashing m & S now .
Charging battery and will test. Any thoughts????
Found an old DII thread that has all the same issues. Goes 25 posts deep and then nothing at the end. last input was by DiscoMIke who thought he remembered that a bad output speed sensor wound render the tranny inoperable??? Not sure how this is related to my tcase being trashed though.........getting more stumped by the minute!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 PM
TReK

Cable may be frozen.
Can you move the hi/low lever at all?
You should be able to go to L or H and if it does not budge then
maybe the cable was installed wrong?

You took on a lot.
I bet the T-case is just in N.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

p0722 and m/s lights can mean a lot of things. The only thing the computer knows to tell you is that there's a fault with the output speed sensor. I have been through this issue myself and after going through 2 new sensors just to realise that all 3 sensors were fine and the tranny was toas, I was ready to pull out every last hair. those sensors are bullet proof, they simply don't fail. It's just a magnet (prox switch).
Because you can't shift through H-N-L on the T-case, I would guess that the T-case is where your problem is. However, because your getting transmission faults, I do wonder what else mught be going on.
- What was the circumstance that fried your T-case?
- What other (if any) tranny/T-case issues were you having leading up to the T-case failure?

Old 03-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can the truck be pushed with the transmission in neutral parking brake off? It could be possible that the original t case failed because something in the transmission locked up, if the truck moves with the transmission in neutral and the t case in high or low then at least u know its free

Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just saw u said u rolled fine, need to verify the t case in not in neutral then as others have stated

Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Mudding

ok here is a recap...... I had zero issues with shifting or driving. The tranny and tcase all seemed to be working perfect ; never any slippage or signs the trannny was going. I was on the HW one night and felt a "skip" almost like I had bad gas. Then it ran fine for the rest of the trip ( about 50 miles). The next morning I was a mile from the house and going 45 when I heard a metallic "clunk" . Then I realized I was coasting as if in N. Towed it home and could not find anything wrong so Input from the Forum suspected a bad tcase. I drained and puled off the tcase cover I could see the big gear was sheared and found chunks of metal in the case . When i got the tcase out I found the inner bearing race ( where the splined shaft from the tranny fits into - see pic above) was completely destroyed allowing the gears to wobble . So I replaced the case and this is where I'm at now
I guess the dilemma is did the tcase just go on it's own ( most say unlikely) or did something in the tranny lock up and the wobbly output shaft caused the tcase to implode
??? No I can not move the tcase into any gear and I stated above the old tcase , even after implosion, moved easily back and forth through the H N L positions. Guess the next step is to get the tcase to go through the gears and go from there..........I'm leaning towards the tranny being gone at this point

Quick Reply: No Movement after T-case swap