Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Movement after T-case swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest observations, All 4 wheels off the ground. Car not running but key turned on. In P or N Rotating front tires makes the rear turn. IN D rotating front tires does Not make the rear tires turn. Car running IN P D or N rotating front tires make the rear turn.
Still can not get the tcase to move but after inspecting the tcase that is out of the car I could compare where the lever on the tcase is and it certainly appears to be stuck in H which could be just a bound up cable from sitting and have nothing to do with the Rover not Driving. Any thoughts? Going to get under it again later today in see if I can feel where the Tcase lever is. When in N its pretty clear from the one out of the car the lever is straight North..........If it's NOT I guess I/ll pull it all back out again and replace the tranny. Not sure what else I can do ?

Last edited by parkerlander; 03-06-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Mudding

ok so 100 % the tcase is stuck in H and not N. I was able to get under there and observe the shifter ( all free) and the cable ( all free) . When I disconnected the pin that holds in the end of the cable to the shifter assembly it moves freely. Everything is where it should be. I even tried taking a metal rod and nudge and then hit and bang the lever on the tcase without any movement, The one I have out of the car easily moves back and forth through the gears w/out much force. So either have I bought a frozen tcase or the output shaft from the tranny is stuck ( therefore the tranny is toast) not allowing the tcase to turn even a smidge to get out of H. Either way it's coming out .........

Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I feel for you friend. Just gotta keep working at it. You'll get it.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Mudding

undid all the BS again last night and down to a few bolts on the tcase.....so will have it out in 10 min once I get an extra hand. I drained the Tranny again , after I just filled it with clean fluid, and found lots of black mixed in as well as tiny bits of metal. It didn't even drive so all that must be inside the tranny and came out with the new fluid. Pulled the tranny pan again and check to see if the filter was clogged with metal or debris and was not, just coated with black ultra fine dust. magnet in the tranny pan was also coated with metal dust after i I just cleaned it days before. Looking around for a used one and will verify tom. if I can get the damn tcase out of H once I have it out.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:52 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I bet the transfer case is still in N.
See if you can rotate the H / N / L when you get the T-CASE out.

Who sold you this used T-Case?

Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Mudding

Yes that is my primary goal today. I will put the Coupling shaft into the tcase and see if will turn. If it does and I can get the tcase back and forth through the gears then I'll rule that out. I'll then fill the tranny and start the Rover ( which is what I should have done prior to putting in the tcase but like a dumb *** I was assuming the tcase was bad) and see if the output transmission splined shaft turns when in drive.
...........I got it off Marty at Ichopimports from this forum. He called me back and told me to call him once I got it out.......he has been great to work with up to this point.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:43 PM
TReK

OK good luck.
Did you verify you have transmission fluid in the transmission and a line did not blow and the fluid all went on the ground?

No fluid - no torque convertor power transferred and not output shaft will turn.
I think you did test that.

I have not removed a t-case.
but, is there like you said - a pin or such that couples torque and can shear under lots of stress?

Like a safety shear to keep the transmission output shaft safe from a "halt" in the t-case?

If such shear was not installed, it would just look to be coupled but not coupled.
Others are going to eat my lunch with this comment, but, I admit I have not tackled a transfer case.

Hopefully you have an air compressor and an air ratchet to get all this out quick.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Mudding

There is a coupler shaft ( 8 inch or so) that fits over the output tranny shaft that fits into the bearing race hole in the tcase input housing. tranny turns, shaft turns, gears in tcase turn to drive shafts . yes I had all the fluids and seals up to snuff, filter changed etc etc... all by the book.
So now I have it out ( again) and boy it's really hard to tell if it was stuck in N. Possibly stuck between N and H. Now that I have it out I can go back and forth in between all the gears in the tcase. It took rotating the coupler through the tcase to get it to do this. so Yes its' possible the tccase was between gears. HOWEVER it takes very little rotation in the tcase and very little hand pressure to rotate the tcase. If the tranny output shaft had turned at all it would have shifted in and out of gear. ( tcase).
So back to the dilemma ???
Don't you think if the tranny was good the output shaft would have turned even a few rotations? It should have spun like mad allowing the tcase to be shifted in and out of gear just like you have to do in D or R to get the splines to move a bit. Thing that sucks is Now i have to fill the Tranny again ( keep in mind the cats - holy loudness- are out and all o2's are disconnected) to see if the output shaft moves. What sucks even more is even if it does go whirling around how do I know that any pressure on the shaft
ie: what the tcase and drive shafts would put on it
would make me believe the tranny is good????
Double stumped in Denver

Last edited by parkerlander; 03-08-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Mudding

Well put the tcase back in today. I was able to easily shift through the H N L. left the drive shafts off and the car up to see if the flanges would turn indicating the tranny was turning the output shaft thus turning the gearbox and output flanges. Tried H & L in all the gears and NADA. Absolutely zero movement of the flanges. also moved the cdl in both positions. So after all the testing of all other components guess the tranny or part of the tranny system is toast. At least now I know where I'm at and that something in the tranny blew causing the tcase to implode. Sucks I had to go through all of this but not sure what else I could have done. Didn't see the point of just assuming it was bad and not getting to the root of the problem. Wish I knew more about trannys so I could figure out how it just went without any fanfare or previous issues............
Well onto the Tranny removal .

Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 AM
TReK

You work a lot harder and faster than most people do.

Sorry your trans is toast.

You need one of these for parts:

04 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II

Quick Reply: No Movement after T-case swap