Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure after engine swap and what I have tried so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well we are not going to find out if it is going to have pressure tonight. Backfilling oil from oil cooler lines and noticed a leak.

Tigntened up up the fitting and ....

Old 10-14-2018, 09:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MtnCrk
Well we are not going to find out if it is going to have pressure tonight. Backfilling oil from oil cooler lines and noticed a leak.

Tigntened up up the fitting and ....

Bummer.

But why backfilling? You don't need to do anything exotic for the first start on these motors.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MtnCrk
Got the front cover off
oil pump gears looked and felt good.

Safe to button it back up and give it a try?
Not safe.

With the front cover off, pour oil down the screw-on oil filter tube while hand turning oil pump gears. If you get flow, good.

With oil pan off, pour oil through the removed oil pickup tube (you've got to turn it upside down to pour through the pickup screen). Do you get flow through it? If yes, then examine the tiny black o-ring on the non-screen end of that pickup tube. If it is OK, then firmly reinstall your oil pickup tube.

THEN you can button her back up and retry... but better would be replacing those rod bearings before reinstalling the oil pan. Also, having the oil pan off is an ideal time to shine a bright light upward to examine for a walked cam bearing.

Last edited by No Doubt; 10-14-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,281 Likes on 899 Posts

Ouch, that ain't good. Not sure if that could even be aluminum welded, very tight location. Man, this has just gone from bad to worse.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:30 AM
Drifting

I have another front cover from the old engine, so I am going to pull it this evening. I really wanted to test my theory that the issue was just a stuck valve. When I pull the cover off I will manually spin it and feed it some oil to see if it is pulling oil now.
Good news is that I had not filled it with oil yet, I was just making sure the oil cooler lines were full when I noticed the drip, so I still have the newly purchased oil

Everyone has been a great help so far, special thanks to The Deputy for calling me yesterday to talk through some things.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,281 Likes on 899 Posts

Well, at least you still have a good attitude about things...l'd be on suicide watch...lol. Lucked out having another front cover, hope things start heading in the right direction. Fingers crossed for a happy outcome!

Brian.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Am I missing something or are these pump gears different?
Gears on top are from the old engine that I pulled
gears on bottom installed are from the engine with no oil pressure

If the new engine was missing this piece then it makes sense that it would not be pumping

both pulleys are identical.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

You mean it was missing the center gear on the original?? Dang man I thought in all the pics earlier you had that sitting to the side or something!!! Yes that will make an oil pump not pump! It has to have that center gear in order for the pump to spin off the crank.

If that's how it was when you pulled it then there is NO WAY that engine ever had oil pressure! Lets hope & pray someone installed a different front cover or something while it was out of the LR and then did a **** poor job and didn't install the gear.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:39 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Pretty sure that centre driven piece is captive on all three of the front cover sets I've had my hands on in the past month. Someone probably spent a good amount of effort to get it out.
Well at least you've identified the most likely cause of the oil pressure problem.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Where the HE!! did it go?

Emailing the seller now.

I will run options by everyone to get a consensus as to the next step.

My daughter is going to be bummed. She thought I was close to being done with her truck. New rotors and brakes are sitting in boxes and that was the last step.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure after engine swap and what I have tried so far