Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure after engine swap and what I have tried so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
Pretty sure that centre driven piece is captive on all three of the front cover sets I've had my hands on in the past month.
Yep. I just played around with the gears from the old engine and that center ring doesn’t come out.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

It can come out, trust me I’ve had them fall out, just depends on who made it. I’ve had timing covers nearly installed (aftermarket oil pump gears) and then I heard a clank as I was aligning the keyway and sure enough that gear fell out.... Still amazing someone didn’t catch that!!!

Like I said “if” the cover was pulled with the engine out of the truck you caught it and fixed the issue before it was driven/ran long without oil pressure. Now if someone did a **** poor attempt at a front cover, saw the gear left over in their spare bolts/part assortment and then fired that engine up and ran it = it’s junk.

At this point I’d install the gearset with the gear, (gotta put the engine back together regardless) & see what you get. If it’s junk you’ll know right off the bat once it warms up. If it is you can get your $$$$ hopefully but I doubt they’ll reimburse you for your time/labor.

Did the engine come with any kind of warranty? If it runs drive it & when it gets close to out of warranty if you have any issues do a warranty claim.

Last edited by Best4x4; 10-15-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I would get your money back, that engine needs a complete rebuild now.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I’d get my $$$$ as well, but at this point you have absolutely nothing to loose, put it together & fire it up. Pretty sure they won’t accept it in pieces. It’ll either run smoothly with oil pressure even once warmed up or it will clack and the oil light will come on once warmed up 50/50 shot.

You didn’t damage it just starting it & turning it off. If any damage was done it was with it’s previous history/mechanic work.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Drifting

I have emailed the seller of the engine. Asking about options.
They said the engine was brought up to temp with no knocking or overheating. They do a lot of used LR stuff so I will wait to hear from them before I do anything more.
It was a used engine and has a 30 day warranty so I am within that.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yikes if that thing ran longer than 1min with zero oil pressure = garbage for sure.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,281 Likes on 899 Posts

Well, if that don't take the cake. Are you sure your inner gear isn't stuck on the crank shaft or something? I mean, how in the he** does someone put a oil pump gear set in...without the drive gear? This has gone from weird to weirder...or maybe even the weirdest situation we've seen here. Well, at least we were correct in assuming it was the pump.

I'd pull a rod cap bearing and check that, while waiting from reply from supplier.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Crazy indeed!

Old 10-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Drifting

I received confirmation from the seller that after the engine was removed they noticed the the PO had used some JB weld on the front cover so they swapped it out with a different one.
This does make sense because when I had the front cover off I noticed one of the bolts was broken.
The engine did sound fine when it started and you would think that if it had been run without oil if would have sounded horrible.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,281 Likes on 899 Posts

If that is truly the case, I'd check those rod bearings (a couple) and check condition. If you only ran it a few seconds or a minute or so...they should be fine (if they were fine to bring with). If they are okay, I'd have them send me a good cover (and a partial refund for your troubles) and use those gears you have and see what happens.

Brian.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure after engine swap and what I have tried so far