Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No P indicator on dash or shifter, vehicle won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 09:10 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No P indicator on dash or shifter, vehicle won't start.

Hello y'all! So... I'm finally done with my transmission swap, transfer box rebuild and CDL linkage install...but... I am having problems with my shifter. It wont show P on the dash or shifter led and it won't start unless I manually release the solenoid and select N on the shifter (it's kinda hard since the shifter seems that it wont sit right on N slot, so I need to find the right spot so the dash and shifter shows N). The rest of speeds and modes work without issues and shifter and dash are synchronized.
So... I need y'alls input on what can be the problem. XYZ not calibrated correctly? A fuse? Bad shifter linkage?
Thanks!

Old 04-23-2020, 09:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

Those are classic symptoms of an XYZ switch that needs to be adjusted, especially if it was working fine before you replaced the transmission.

Hopefully you have a helper who can sit in the driver's seat while you lie under the truck adjusting the XYZ switch.

I find it easier to work on the XYZ switch if I crawl under from the passenger side.

Before you crawl under the truck, be sure to chock the wheels carefully. You're going to have the truck in Neutral and you don't want it rolling while you're underneath it! Apply the parking brake also.

Use a 10 mm wrench to slightly loosen the bolts that will allow you to rotate the XYZ switch on the gear selector shaft.

Have your helper sitting in the truck turn the key to Position II and, for now, leave the shifter in the Park position. Slowly and carefully rotate the XYZ switch on the shaft, first in one direction, and then if necessary in the other direction. Have your helper watch the instrument panel and tell you if the P in the instrument cluster display lights up. When it does, the red LED next to the P on the shifter bezel should also light up.

If you are successful and the P is displayed in the instrument cluster, carefully tighten the two 10 mm bolts trying not to change the orientation of the XYZ switch on the shaft. Once they are snugged down, have your helper step on the foot brake and slowly move the shifter through the PRND321 range and back to confirm whether or not the correct indicators are illuminated at each position.

Last edited by mln01; 04-24-2020 at 06:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mln01:
No Doubt (04-24-2020), The Deputy (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

is this the XYZ off your old trans, or the one that came with the new trans? May have been damaged in removal......