Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no power + shaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power + shaking

Hi Gang!

It's been a while, and I apologize. Here's my dilemma (for the short version, please see the bold section at the bottom):

I changed air filters. I went from a K&N to an STP factory fit/spec model. Instantly the beast (1995 Discovery1) idled better and what have you.

I did the sea foam treatment in the gas tank. Thanks to lots of snow wind and a slight case of vacation I haven't ventured into sea-foaming the rest of the vehicle. I did find time, however, to change the power steering fluid, thanks to the sweet pdf that someone sent me, which is the service and shop manual for this bad-boy.

Adding all these factors together, only a couple things happened: it idles better, the gas mileage improved, and dang-it the thing has a severe shake and is gutless in 4th gear (auto tranny). When I romp on the accelerator, it kicks down to a lower gear and the shaking stops and it goes faster (fancy that)...

It still troubles me that I can't cruise at anything faster than about 50 mph without getting a masage from the steering wheel. I thought it was the steering, but changed the fluid thinking that was the cause.

What are the contributing factors that cause a loss of power and a shake in the steering wheel in a 3.9l V8i, auto trans, 1995 Discovery1 when speeds of 50 mph and faster are approached and achieved?

Thank you so much! I won't forget you when my vehicle runs smoothly and/or I'm the king of the universe.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Drifting
Default RE: no power + shaking

have you checked your steering stabilizer? it could help your shaking issue, and if the entire car is shaking, the motor could be thrown off by that

Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Can you check the codes ? Mine is a '96 and has OBDII, but I thought the '95s had a light that you could read the codes fromby watching it flash. I had a problem that sounds like yours - and it was a hassle - but it turned out to be sticky exhaust valves. The truck felt like it was going over railroad ties at about 50 mph in 4th, otherwise it ran great. I had a lot of wrong diagnoses by people who were supposed to know these things.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a check/service engine light on? Have you done anything with your spark plugs and wires? If not, replace them with some 8mm Magnacor's and a goodquality spark plug.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Get the codes read and get back to us.
Sounds like either 4th gear or your torque convertor are shot.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: DiscoJag

Can you check the codes ? Mine is a '96 and has OBDII, but I thought the '95s had a light that you could read the codes fromby watching it flash. I had a problem that sounds like yours - and it was a hassle - but it turned out to be sticky exhaust valves. The truck felt like it was going over railroad ties at about 50 mph in 4th, otherwise it ran great. I had a lot of wrong diagnoses by people who were supposed to know these things.
LED number display under the passenger seat, and the CEL will be on. If neither is on, no codes..