Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No reverse lights

Ok I got my Disco the other night and let me say I waited too long to get one. I love the feeling of driving it and the deal I got was alsmost as good as the way it drives. So last night I am backing into my spot and I Noticed that the reverse lights werent on. I went to the store and grabbed some new bulbs today and nothing. Still no lights. So I went into the fuse panel and didnt see a fuse for the back up lights. So I guess I am down to the switch. Anyone ever dealt with this before? What would be the best way to get to the switch to replace it? Maybe its not the switch and is something else? Any advice or horror stories? Thanks and by the way this site is pretty cool.
Kevin

Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We need some details about the truck in question. Year, model, mileage...all the good stuff. More than likely here is a switch in the side of the transmission that is bad and needs replaced.

Do yourself a favor and download the RAVE repair manual. It's the repair manual for Land Rovers and will save a lot of time and money.

http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.p...d=13&Itemid=29

Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Drifting

Sorry...its a 97 D1 with 165k. I have downloaded the RAVE manual but that things is confusing. I will look into it a bit further tonight

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Drifting

So after doing some searching I have run into a small problem. The RAVE that I have only covers the manual tranny and when I searched for the part online I could only find it for a manual. Unfortunatly I dont have the manual I have the automatic. Could someone give me a part number/vendor to get this.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The circuit goes as follows: fuse 14 (10 amps under dash) to a green/yellow wire, through the tranny position switch,wire changes to green/brown and goes to connector 105 (black with 13 pins, located in engine well corner closest to drivers seat), wire then goes to connector 277 (white with 23 pins located under drivers side dash behind fuse box) and then out back and splits to each light.

I would check for power at connector 105 with ignition on (not engine) and tranny in reverse, you can use a test light or a meter to check for power, you will be testing the one wire in the middle of the plug (pin 3) and it is green/brown. if you have power in reverse then your problem is most likely somewhere out back, if you don't it is either at the fuse box or in the tranny position switch.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

was looking on AB's website and I didn't see the switch for your truck there but I am sure you could call them and they could order it if they don't have it. They are a bit expensive so I would check the power on both sides of that switch to make sure that is what is wrong before you buy one. there is about a 6'' set of wires with a harness that is attached to that switch so you should be able to get to it to test for power (the 2 wires I listed above green/yellow goes in and green/brown comes out only while in reverse) but it is on the side of the transmission housing so you will have to get under the truck.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nhwheelin
So after doing some searching I have run into a small problem. The RAVE that I have only covers the manual tranny and when I searched for the part online I could only find it for a manual. Unfortunatly I dont have the manual I have the automatic. Could someone give me a part number/vendor to get this.

Is the plastic tape type stuff that moves with your shifter intact? It covers the hole where the shifter travels and has a little plastic ball attached. If this is gone, or ripped, your reverse lights won't turn on. Not sure how, but the switch is linked to it. My tape ripped, and I lost reverse lights.

It is difficult to find, but the shift tape for a Range Rover Classic will work on a D1.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
The circuit goes as follows: fuse 14 (10 amps under dash) to a green/yellow wire, through the tranny position switch,wire changes to green/brown and goes to connector 105 (black with 13 pins, located in engine well corner closest to drivers seat), wire then goes to connector 277 (white with 23 pins located under drivers side dash behind fuse box) and then out back and splits to each light.

I would check for power at connector 105 with ignition on (not engine) and tranny in reverse, you can use a test light or a meter to check for power, you will be testing the one wire in the middle of the plug (pin 3) and it is green/brown. if you have power in reverse then your problem is most likely somewhere out back, if you don't it is either at the fuse box or in the tranny position switch.
I will definetly run these tests tomorrow while I am at my friends garage. Thanks for the input

Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Is the plastic tape type stuff that moves with your shifter intact? It covers the hole where the shifter travels and has a little plastic ball attached. If this is gone, or ripped, your reverse lights won't turn on. Not sure how, but the switch is linked to it. My tape ripped, and I lost reverse lights.

It is difficult to find, but the shift tape for a Range Rover Classic will work on a D1.
I dont believe the tape is ripped but looking at my shift lever I see two self taping screws have been put on the base where it connects to the tape. I think tomorrow I will be doing some investigating. Thanks for the help

Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM
4wd Low

I have the same problem with my 98 Disco. People on this site are a great help!!
Maybe some day I can do what you do (help)!

Grateful,
Vpad