Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No running after water crossing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No running after water crossing

After a loft and some 33x12.50’s my son went wheeling with some friends today.
they were going through some water, maybe 2’ deep at the most, and not overly fast.

On one pass at the end of the water, maybe 100 feet it stalled.
he restarted and drove off.
he deove around a few minutes then while sitting idling it cut off.

now it just starts then instantly cuts off.

if you play with the throttle it will sputter a little but won’t run.

there was a little water in the air box and the filter was wet but not soaked and no water in the intake traps.

we had recently replaced the front 2 o2 sensors, but I think I got bad or generic ones, because they still throw codes.

now codes are 0102, 1884, he cleared the codes when it wouldn’t run so I can’t get exact ones now, but he says they were misfire cylinder7 and 4.

im guessing something got wet.

where to begin troubleshooting ?

Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Will the truck run if there is no communication between the O2 AND the maf wire got cooked? I'll

Old 04-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Probably ruined the MAF sensor, getting it wet.

Brian.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Unplug the MAF, it will run without it. If it still does not run, unplug the oxygen sensors (ECU does not need them either). Open the hood and let it dry out a couple of days.

How deep was the water? Could it be in the tank?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:06 AM
Three Wheeling

No change with maf unplugged.
have not unplugged o2’s, but honestly I think they are shot as the code that has been thrown was no communication with o2.

with maf unplugged it starts, revs to just over 1k like normal, but instead of returning to idle immediately it dies.
if you work the throttle a bit you Can get it to run for a few seconds at a higher rpm, but then sputters, pops and dies...

Old 04-02-2019, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

She needs to dry out, it should run with bad 02’s, or 02’s that aren’t reading it will just run rich.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks best..
i was thinking same thing...
the water was only about 2’deep, but I am assuming he entered to fast... he’s an inexperienced 17 year old and was out with friends showing off his “beast”...as he affectionately calls it.

a stock excursion also went throug same hole without any issues.

intries starting it again today, and with or without maf plugged in, starts normally then just dies.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

I had a lovely flash fire on my 02 Kalahari when a cleaning product dripped down on the drivers side exhaust manifold!!! 8sec tops, but after that I had TPS faults, HDC/TC faults, and the Bank 1 Upstream O2 sensor showed nada!!! I feared a melted harness, inspected it, and saw nothing. It ran awful, and I honestly parked it until I had time to fool with it. It sat probably 3 months, went to move it, battery was low, charged it up, & it ran flawless..... checked codes & nada... drove it & still nothing. Figured it was gonna happen if I hit the freeway (would freak out at idle honestly), but nope it did nothing. So “something” back down between the engine/bulkhead got wet & it didn’t behave until it completely dried up.

I want to investigate, but at the same time if it isn’t broke don’t fix it lol. It’s been 3 weeks now & she’s running like she always used to before the 8sec flash fire from the cleaning spray (I lightly sprayed under the hood to clean the engine bay after the 2018 Hill Country Rover Rally & I used a different cleaner than usual because they were out). The combo of water & the fire made for an unhappy D2.

So I’d say let it sit, heck disconnect the battery & then see what it does.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Three Wheeling

I guess the thing that puzzles me is that when i hit the key it starts immediately, runs up to 1500 rpm, starts it idle back down.
i would think it it were a coil issue, or other water related issue it would not start so quickly.
i dont get why it dies after a second or so.

i can usually work the fuel the first time and get it to run a few more seconds at high rpm, but then it pops, burbles and dies.
after the first time i cant get it to run for as long on subsequent tries.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Is the IAC plugged in good? A D2 can act bad when that is INOP/Stuck. I’ve also seen dead MAF’s do that, but once you unplug the MAF it’ll default itself and run but crappy. I’ll see if I have a spare MAF I can send you.

Quick Reply: No running after water crossing