Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No running after water crossing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Yes, exactly.
just out of curiosity,
assuming this is a cps failure, why would it initially start, is there some other starting program in the ecu or something that bypasses the cps on startup?

For me that's where i am hitting a wall...i have had many other old cars i have wrenched on a ton, porsche, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, a P38 rover, Boats and many american cars.

I have only seen tow types of failures, Almost all were a total no start. I did have a 96 BMW 328 that i bought that sounded like the timing was off. it would start and run but was un drive able as it sputtered and popped. It was caused by a cheap aftermarket $28.00 CPS from autozone the PO had installed. I bought the $150 factory one and all was perfect...

This failure with it starting then immediately dying is what is getting into my head.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Yeah, it starts without a consistent cps signal because the engine is not running, once running it is going to look for that pulse on a regular basis, and if it does not see it then it will shut it down. If the CPS was completely dead, it would not start, because it can see the signal even when cranking. It likely has an error calculation algorithim it uses once running and if it fails it turns off the fuel.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling

should have CPS tomorrow.

Just pulled the upper intake to get at the fuel pressure schader, what a freaking stupid place to put a test port.....
i hope whoever came up with that got 100 lashes.....
looks like we have good fuel pressure. im hooking up a tester shortly, but with just pushing in the schrader needle seemed like very good pressure fuel squirting out.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

That is how much CPS failed.

It would start, hesitate, start fluctuating, and die. If I floored it I could get somewhere, that somewhere was 2 minutes to my other home (I was moving to a larger property then)

Old 04-06-2019, 06:52 PM
Three Wheeling

It's alive......

So we replaced the cps and put the intake back on, buttoned everything back up.
Installed all new plugs.

We left the maf off since it will run without it and same exact thing... Started and immediately stopped.
Did this several times.

Put the original maf on and still same thing.
Unplugged maf and would runabove 3 & if we worked the throttle and pumped it, lots of black smoke coming out.
Plugged maf back in and was popping and spitting and would not run at all

To say we were frustrasted is an understatement.
.so we installed the new maf and started it ran like crap still, son had it floored and it was barely able to stay running. He let off the gas and it idled down and actually idled, perfect. .
.he hit the gas and it revved perfectly.

Maybe I had two failures, cps AND maf?

Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Actually that sounds exactly like when the MAF goes to the default setting.

For example I had a D2 with a MAF that was indeed bad come in for me to examine. It ran with a low idle with the current MAF, then when you unplugged it the D2 would die before you could give it any throttle. Restarted it and it ran awful and coughed. Shut off installed new MAF, and it cranked but ran crappy and extremely high idle like 1,500RPM. I jumped into it & hit the road! It wasn’t very happy, but then it calmed down & when I came to a stop it was idling fine.

This was before I had a scantool to reset the adaptive settings & a LR buddy said you can force the ECU to dump the stored MAF settings if you either rev it up or just drive it for like 5 miles. After that it was good to go. Now of coarse I just whip out the Nanacom and clear adaptive settings.

Glad it’s alive!!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-09-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 11:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks everyone for the help.

Son drove it for a while tonight and everything ran fine.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Just catching up on this topic...but yeah...sounded like a MAF sensor all along. Had the same issue with my 01 after drowning her good (water in air box). Installed new sensor, still ran like crap. Was able to get it out of the garage and pointing down the road...bucked like a bronco for a bit...then smoothed right out.

Glad your rover is up and running again.

Brian.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I managed to really dunk my D2 a while back. Hood under water and ended up with water in the air box. Managed to get home by toweling out the air box. I replaced the MAF shortly afterwards and it didn't run quite right. Had the adaptive settings rest and that smoothed things out.

I keep thinking of buying a Nanocom so I can reset settings at home next time I replace a sensor.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-09-2019)