Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark on a new to us 2003

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 08:26 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No spark on a new to us 2003

My son-in-law just bought a 2003 that wouldn't start after a head gasket repair. I've been searching and have tried all the usual suspects and am not sure which direction to turn. We have swapped out the crank position sensor from a running 2004 and the inertia switch has continuity. The spark, wires and coils are new. There is 11.8v at the coil connections with the key on. I've read that fuse panels can be an issue with no start issues, but I'm not sure how to test that out without dumping more on parts.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by m_lars
My son-in-law just bought a 2003 that wouldn't start after a head gasket repair. I've been searching and have tried all the usual suspects and am not sure which direction to turn. We have swapped out the crank position sensor from a running 2004 and the inertia switch has continuity. The spark, wires and coils are new. There is 11.8v at the coil connections with the key on. I've read that fuse panels can be an issue with no start issues, but I'm not sure how to test that out without dumping more on parts.
im going to say if it happen just after a head gasket job someone didn’t connect or broke some wiring

Old 12-07-2021, 09:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Most likely a security issue, is the red led in the instrument cluster flashing? Lock and unlock the drivers door three times with the key, try it then. Are you sure it has fuel pressure at the rail? Oreilly has a pressure tester you can borrow. If that does not do it, download the rave manual, make sure all the circuits have voltages and grounds as required. Could be a bad ECU as well but that is very rare. The easiest way to test is buy used parts off of ebay (known good) or a local breaker and then resell on ebay if you don't need them. Fuseboxes do not typically keep vehicle from starting.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:38 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
im going to say if it happen just after a head gasket job someone didn’t connect or broke some wiring
I have gone back and checked connections. I found some solenoid connections swapped and fly 4 and 6 had there wires mixed up. I have not tested any wiring yet because I honestly don’t know where to start on that front. While I am a skilled mechanic, wiring is not my forte.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:40 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Extinct
Most likely a security issue, is the red led in the instrument cluster flashing? Lock and unlock the drivers door three times with the key, try it then. Are you sure it has fuel pressure at the rail? Oreilly has a pressure tester you can borrow. If that does not do it, download the rave manual, make sure all the circuits have voltages and grounds as required. Could be a bad ECU as well but that is very rare. The easiest way to test is buy used parts off of ebay (known good) or a local breaker and then resell on ebay if you don't need them. Fuseboxes do not typically keep vehicle from starting.
I’ll try the lock/unlock. I haven’t put a tester on the fuel rail, but it did have pressure when I pushed in the schreader valve.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:38 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by m_lars
I have gone back and checked connections. I found some solenoid connections swapped and fly 4 and 6 had there wires mixed up. I have not tested any wiring yet because I honestly don’t know where to start on that front. While I am a skilled mechanic, wiring is not my forte.

i would check if they even plugged in the coil packs

Old 12-09-2021, 09:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
i would check if they even plugged in the coil packs
the coils were plugged in, but one of them was missing the spring clip and was zip tied in. I stole the clip off the idle control plug since I can easily replace that one anytime.

I tried the lock/unlock. No go. The red light lit up in the dash when I locked it and off when it unlocked.

I’ve done a little more searching. It appears no movement of the tach under cranking is a sign of a bad crank position sensor? There is no movement when it cranks, so we may need to try a new Bosch unit and test that wiring for continuity. Any advice on how best to test that wiring would be appreciated.

I still need to properly test fuel pressure, It has finally started to snow here, so that means extremely early mornings and falling asleep at the dinner table for me for the next few days.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:14 AM
Camel Trophy

Easiest way to test the wiring is just ohm meter from plug to ground, make sure it is not shorted, then ohm meter from plug to plug at the ecu to make sure you have close to 0 resistance, should be less than 10 ohms. My guess is CPS at this point. I like to test using known good off one of my other trucks :-)

Old 12-11-2021, 10:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Extinct
Easiest way to test the wiring is just ohm meter from plug to ground, make sure it is not shorted, then ohm meter from plug to plug at the ecu to make sure you have close to 0 resistance, should be less than 10 ohms. My guess is CPS at this point. I like to test using known good off one of my other trucks :-)
The first thing we tried was a CPS from a working truck.

Is the pin out for the ECU in the RAVE manual?

Old 12-11-2021, 03:01 PM
Camel Trophy

Yes, pinout in the rave

Quick Reply: No spark on a new to us 2003