Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no start m and s lights flash good spark, starting fluid wont even fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no start m and s lights flash good spark, starting fluid wont even fire

Saga! Down 3 weeks, well maintained 2000 disco 2. Failed to start 3 weeks ago. Weak spark at plugs, barely visible but firing at regular intervals. New battery, checked all grounds, relays, fuses, etc. Plugged scanner in. Codes were misfire and lean codes. Live data showed crank rpm 166. Put in new crank sensor anyway. No change. Put in new coils , no change. Disconnected battery and put in engine ecu, body ecu, and cluster from another disco 2. Strong regular spark now but still wont start. Not even on starting fluid. Only symptom is flashing m and s light with key on. This began during initial no start. I figured because battery ran down. Still flashing. I'm stumped. Even if it was somehow interrupting the injectors it should start on starting fluid with a strong spark and good compression. What am I missing??????

Old 09-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Overlanding

I really need expert help here. I own 3 of disco 2s. I own an import shop. I am very proficient at understanding these but this one defies logic!!!!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It sure sounds like a fuel issue

1) are you sure there is gas in there?

2) have you checked the fuel pressure at the schrader valve?

3) belt routed the right way?

4) does the gear indicator on the dash show the correct gears when you move through them or does it flash?

5) inertia switch popped up?

6) did you try locking and unlocking the drivers door?

7) did someone jam a potato up your tail pipe

With the MAF disconnected and the shape of our intakes I'm not really surprised the engine didn't sputter with starter spray.

Last edited by Jared9220; 09-19-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Overlanding

I guess tomorrow I will pull the plenum off AGAIN! It didn't occur to me to check that as I was replacing the coils. It seemed as if the initial weak spark was my issue at that time. Now that the spark is strong I was surprised it didn't start. I sprayed starting fluid in through a small vacuum nipple near the vacuum hoses on the upper intake plenum. I thought it would surely start for a moment. No luck! The flashing m and s lights are giving me the creeps though.......

Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Overlanding

Btw, fuel fuses are good and relay works and I can hear the pump running if I take out the relay and bridge the socket.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I edited my post above and added some other things to check and you don't need to take the upper off to check the schrader. You can pull the rubber seal off the back of the firewall and you should be able to reach your hand back there a get to the valve.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Overlanding

I'll try that. Belt hasn't been off. Checked inertia switch. Initially upon installing all the ecu and cluster set I had a security light and no crank. I locked and unlocked the driver door. Left the key in position II for 5 minutes. It reset fine and cranked after that. I was pleased the spark was much stronger with the new ecu but the result is still a no start

Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Overlanding

Btw, the gear indicator displays the appropriare gear with no flashing lcd. No flashing by the shifter either. Indicates correct shifter position. But initially upon turning on the ignition all the indicator lights come on. Then most go out, as normal. Then the green m and s light begin blinking and continue until i shut the key back off

Old 09-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Overlanding

Sounds to me like a bad earth somewhere.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Overlanding

Grounds are beautiful and corrosion free on this one. All the ones in the engine bay and under the dash are awesome. Plus the weak spark is cured. I'm wondering if there is any possibility that the spark is coming at the wrong crank angle??

Quick Reply: no start m and s lights flash good spark, starting fluid wont even fire