Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No turn signals,door locks or rear windows

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No turn signals,door locks or rear windows

Bought a 2000 disco that the electric door locks do not work, the rear windows do not work and the turn signals do not work. So here is what I have done and found. With the rear windows I found that the relay in the fuse box inside on the drivers side does not ground. I assume that it should ground when the key is turned on to allow the power to feed thru the realay. I connected a jumper wire from the power source at the relay to one of the other terminals there and now the rear windows work but they work all the time with or without ignition on. After some time on the internet thought the problem with all 3 might be the body control module. I found that when the turn signals are on that I get a wire at the BCM that is grounded. This happens for both right and left signal on two separate wires. After looking at wire schematic I beleive that these are the in inputs to the BCM. I however do not find any other wires that power up on the BCM as an output. I have not even looked at the door locks but I am thinking that they are all related. When I lock the doors manually with the key the alarm sets. Also the odometer flashes on the dash. After some research I found that this could be caused by something replaced and that the componets are not talking to each other as they are VIN coded together and if this is the case that it has to go to the dealer so that they can make them communicate. So I took it to the dealer yesterday and they tell me that they can not get it to talk to there system and that I need to replace the fuse box under the hood. They said that all the fuses are good (I already knew that) but that they don't think it is getting power to something (they were not specific here) and they think that the box is bad and there is no power coming out of the box. So I took it home and took the fuse box out to look at the connections to the box to check to see if if any of the terminals had got hot and were not making connection. All looked good so I took the box apart to see if I could see anything. No circuit board pretty simple. Checked all the fuses circuits for continuity and all were ok to the terminals on the bottom where the wiring harness plugs in. I think they are wrong. I was going to change the BCM but I was told by the dealer that it would not run after it was changed without them hooking up and making it communicate with the new part. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Last edited by nhra6306; 11-06-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear

I will be very interested in a reply/answer to your post as mine does the same thing. At times, mine all comes back on, so im thinking a short somewhere...mine also is linked to my front fog lights, when this occurs, the power locks, turn signals, front fog lights all stop working....also, my discovery is set up for daytime ligths on...but when this problem occurs, the daytime lights do not come one either. Luckily, by turning on my headlights, they work fine as do my brake lights so...so far I've just dealt with it. please let me know if you find out the problem.

Kelly

Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 PM
5th Gear

Mine is doing the exact same thing, I hope someone can help us!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Cal
7th Gear
Default I guess I qualify for this club too . . .

My '00 D2 acts as though aliens have invade the turn signals!

When I activate either turn signal or the 4-ways, the dash indicators blink once, but no exterior lights blink. When I activate the keyless entry keyfob, the locks work OK, but no exterior lights flash to indicate locking or unlocking.

Every now and then (less often now than then), things will work as normal for a few minutes . . . then gone again!

I have been advised to check all of the connections on the Body Control Unit for corrosion and such; make sure there is no moisture present; establish a good mechanical connection; and see what that does. If that doesn't resolve the problem, Rovers North will happily sell me a new BCU for $484.11 + shipping.

The BCU is located behind the glove box on the passenger side of the dashboard. I guess I'll have to contort my 62 year old body to get to it, but I can't see paying a dealer for this checkout. If I resolve it, the cost will be a bottle of Aleve; if not, then I'll buy a new BCU and find a local independent that has the LR computer stuff to do the reprogramming.

I'll let y'all know how this turns out.

Regards,
Cal

Old 10-20-2020, 03:51 PM
8th Gear

First of all, I am new here but have repaired my 1998 Disco of this and a number of odd ball electrical ghosts once I got the moon roofs unclogged and all sealed up again. After that you will need to remove any water soaked sound dampening materials under the carpets (giant black sponges that will stay wet for weeks if not removed and stood on with towels ( or something better you can think of) over and over until it dries TOTALLY. Next would be to find the article on poor ground connections and do a good job on all those. Especially pay attention to any body/wiring grounds closest to your leak/damp area. Under the fuse box in the engine bay is a main ground, it may be under the fender there. (depends on year)

Old 11-13-2020, 09:14 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nhra6306
Bought a 2000 disco that the electric door locks do not work, the rear windows do not work and the turn signals do not work. So here is what I have done and found. With the rear windows I found that the relay in the fuse box inside on the drivers side does not ground. I assume that it should ground when the key is turned on to allow the power to feed thru the realay. I connected a jumper wire from the power source at the relay to one of the other terminals there and now the rear windows work but they work all the time with or without ignition on. After some time on the internet thought the problem with all 3 might be the body control module. I found that when the turn signals are on that I get a wire at the BCM that is grounded. This happens for both right and left signal on two separate wires. After looking at wire schematic I beleive that these are the in inputs to the BCM. I however do not find any other wires that power up on the BCM as an output. I have not even looked at the door locks but I am thinking that they are all related. When I lock the doors manually with the key the alarm sets. Also the odometer flashes on the dash. After some research I found that this could be caused by something replaced and that the componets are not talking to each other as they are VIN coded together and if this is the case that it has to go to the dealer so that they can make them communicate. So I took it to the dealer yesterday and they tell me that they can not get it to talk to there system and that I need to replace the fuse box under the hood. They said that all the fuses are good (I already knew that) but that they don't think it is getting power to something (they were not specific here) and they think that the box is bad and there is no power coming out of the box. So I took it home and took the fuse box out to look at the connections to the box to check to see if if any of the terminals had got hot and were not making connection. All looked good so I took the box apart to see if I could see anything. No circuit board pretty simple. Checked all the fuses circuits for continuity and all were ok to the terminals on the bottom where the wiring harness plugs in. I think they are wrong. I was going to change the BCM but I was told by the dealer that it would not run after it was changed without them hooking up and making it communicate with the new part. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Recently brought our 2001 back after sitting for several years. First issue was electrics, no seats, no windows working plus other electrical problems. Found a thread here about swapping out the interior fuse box. Found one at the local pick n pull for $18, swapped it for the old, put the key in position 2 for 5 minutes to allow the bcu to sync with it as per thread instructions. Everything worked after that, except for one window that I believe has an issue with a door actuator. Might be worth a try before going the bcu and programming route if you can find a good used fuse box for a reasonable price.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Agree. This sounds to me more like interior fuse box than BCU itself altho it's definitely possible that it's the BCU or wiring in between/connectors. If you go this route, make sure you get 99-02 fusebox, not 03-04.

Part #'s 99-02 - YQE103830 -> YQE000110 -> YQE000250 -> YQE000410). Also maybe off a 99 YQE103320 (older). NOT YQE000251 which is for 03/04

Good luck.