Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no turn signals or hazards

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F14 is good and power is going through that. Is it an even somewhat common of a thing for the IDM to go bad? Sounds like that could be the cause, going to double check this morning to make sure power is going into it for that pin. I honestly can't remember at this point if the turn signals worked or not. I had a 99 disco that I was literally given earlier in the week, but that appears to have the same problem with the turn signals, but didn't even attempt to diagnose that one.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know if it is common for the IDM to fail, but it is fairly common for the passenger compartment fuse panel to fail: search the heater blower fan threads. The passenger fuse panel is prone to moisture. Sun roof leaks, lack of heat directed to that location, etc.

Keep us posted. It helps everybody and anybody who has the symptom "no turn signals what-so ever."

Old 08-03-2015, 06:19 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

My relay under the steering wheel went and all i got was one flash of the directional, but the emergency flasher still worked

Old 08-03-2015, 07:19 AM
Three Wheeling

I was able to swap my fuse block with a working unit last night and still no luck. I think I'm going to retrace all of my steps...again, to try to narrow this down. I'm fairly certain it's not the actual turn signal stalk/switch. I was getting around 1 volt at the turn signals and then when switched to a direction, that wire would go to 0 volts. Not that I'm an ace at reading wiring diagrams, but it seems this system works by completing the ground to the BCU?? Any chances the BCU can go bad? From what I've read, you can't just swap that out, it has to be re-synced to one of the other control modules or ecu I think?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

This may be dumb but are all of the connectors on your BCU firmly seated? Maybe something is amiss from reconnecting your wiring harness. That is a very tight space.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Even more dumb of a question. The BCU is located behind glove box correct? If that is the case, nothing was touched on that when doing the engine swap. I'll go over connections under the hood, but the only things that were disconnected were whatever connectors dealt with the motor. Does anyone happen to know what connector on the back of the IDM is for the turn signals and hazrds? I thought my friend checked that, but would love to do it myself to double check it is actually getting power.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by mpoo1083
Even more dumb of a question. The BCU is located behind glove box correct? If that is the case, nothing was touched on that when doing the engine swap. I'll go over connections under the hood, but the only things that were disconnected were whatever connectors dealt with the motor. Does anyone happen to know what connector on the back of the IDM is for the turn signals and hazrds? I thought my friend checked that, but would love to do it myself to double check it is actually getting power.
Yes, the BCU is behind the glove box, under the dash. The ECU is to the right of that. They are pretty close to the opening in the firewall and my memory fades but there may be another box between them. A lot of wiring in that area. The BCU is really hard to access but its connectors and wires point down. I cannot recall if it has the same clamping connectors as the ECU but my gut is that they are the ones that you pinch to take off.

I only mentioned that because when I did my first swap I boogered my wiring harness in some unknown way and lots of strange things happened that were hard to diagnose.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Gotcha, yeah I thought it was behind the box and looked like a pain to get to. I didn't touch any of that stuff, but no harm in checking stuff under the hood again. I'm wondering if the BCU is causing the issue. Might have to break down and try to get that out just to access the pins on that and test it.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I had issues with my hazards/turn signals related to some headers that were corroded behind the blower motor in the pass side footwell. They carry the signal from the BCU to lights.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-repair-57435/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...il-data-58201/

Last edited by acamato; 08-03-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Camel Trophy

I took the BCU out of a parts car a few weeks ago and even with everything out of the way it was a major pain to get to. I hadn't thought of condensation there but I can see how that might be a problem. If you have access to a spare BCU it would be easier to get the connectors off and just try plugging them into it rather than removing it ASSUMING THAT WOULDN'T CAUSE CONFLICT WITH THE ECU (which is a big assumption--I don't know about such things and maybe someone else can chime in). Laying on your back in the passenger footwell with so little space that you can't get your hands in because your forearms are too long is my personal nightmare... yet I have done it.

Quick Reply: no turn signals or hazards