Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no turn signals or hazards

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay, so it's been a while since i've even had a chance to work on the disco, and just took a look at it tonight. i plugged a scanner in, and went into the BCU, when i turn either signal on, or the hazards, the scanner shows it from going "off" to "on. Someone told me this should actually continue to go from off, on, off, on as long as i still have said direction activated. doesn't anyone know if this is correct, or should it just stay "on" like mine does? would this indicate a bad BCU? Thank for the help, killing me i can't drive it because of this only issue.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm just being a Google scholar trying to help here... I just read that the Disco II does not have a typical flasher relay and the flashing is handled by the BCU activating and deactivating a typical relay. Someone please confirm that. If true, then your friend is right and the problem is most likely at the BCU or the feedback to it.

I'll find my flasher relay and swap it with a regular relay if they are the same size. If it keeps flashing then there's your answer.

Food for thought.. when it is cold, my flashers do not work on the first use for maybe 10 to fifteen seconds. My problem is clearly not due to a solid state BCU... Maybe yours is having a similar issue, just not due to the cold. Apparently the relays can get stuck.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-09-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Three Wheeling

I've swapped good relays and nothing. And correct, the flasher is controlled by the BCU. I'm curious to see if when I plug my scanner in, should it be showing the signals just "on" or should they continue to go "on, off, on, off". I talked with the previous owner last night, and he said they always worked for him, although I think it sat for a few months before I bought it.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mpoo1083
I've swapped good relays and nothing. And correct, the flasher is controlled by the BCU. I'm curious to see if when I plug my scanner in, should it be showing the signals just "on" or should they continue to go "on, off, on, off". I talked with the previous owner last night, and he said they always worked for him, although I think it sat for a few months before I bought it.
Well darn if it isn't the relays then it has to be the BCU. Before you do anything drastic tell me how exactly you get the on off state readings and I'll try it on mine. I don't recall seeing that on my code scanner but I've never looked for it.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

FWIW, I was curious myself, and checked using my Autocom. I activated my turn signals via the turn signal lever, and the scanner just showed "ON". Of course nothing actually flashed, as the instrument panel blanks out while accessing the BCM. When I toggled the signal lights on through the scanner, they lit up and remained solid (not flashing) while the scanner showed them as "ON".

Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Three Wheeling

ok, thats what mine does..nothing on the dash lights up when i'm testing, just shows through the scanner a continuous "on". i have the icarsoft scanner. charlie, not sure if you even want to test it on yours now. on mine, i go through "diagnose" and then select the make/model, petrol engine, automatic, lighting, data streams, select the parameters and then can test everything.

with what lordmorpheus has said, not sure you need to, since it looks like he gets the same results i do, and now also even more stumped, not knowing if i have a bad BCU or not. I do have a 2003, with working turns and hazards, but not sure if i could swap all of that over to mine. also planned on fixing the head gaskets and selling that one to a friend since it's super clean. i have a 99 donor vehicle, but that appears to have the same issue. thanks for the help so far guys, much appreciated

Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench

When you activate your lights through the scanner, do the exterior lights illuminate solidly like mine?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Three Wheeling

no, the exterior lights have never come on period, just the dash lights that light once and thats it. uber confused on it...rechecked fuses, bulbs and relays last night and all is good.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Hmm. I assume you have the RAVE with wiring diagrams? Might check to see if there is a common ground point for the lights. You could swap BCUs just to test the lights, I suppose. I would search the wiring diagrams before going through that hassle though. (I just hate laying upside down in a cramped space)

Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Three Wheeling

Yup, have the RAVE manual. Traced some of the grounds previously, but a buddy is going to come over this weekend to try to help. We'll see what happens.