Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from transmission, Maybe???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from transmission, Maybe???

Alright amatuer question, I have a noise that just started. Sounds like a rattle but I know it'snot... Thats the best way I can describe it. You can here it from the inside while the truck is at idle (sometimes) and while your driving when youreach whatever speed and let off the gas. It sound like it is right behind the front seats, center of the vehicle. You can not here it from the outside though.? 98Disco LE w/ 104K.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Noise from transmission, Maybe???

Could be loose baffles in your catalytic converter. Mine does it at idle. With the motor off, crawl under the Disco and tap on the cats with a hammer. See if that sounds like your rattle.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you can hear it at idle in or out of gear, it is a cat that should be replaced as soon as possible along with whatever caused it to fail, like plugs, wires, injectors or a coolant leak.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Mudding

I vote convertor as well. hope it doesn't turn sideways on you and block your exhaust off (and ruin something really expensive). Better to part with the small $ on a custom-welded universal unit. many shops locally as $125-175 installed.

Word to the wise -- the OLD cat is now worth $$. a muffler shop locally will pay $60 for any old convertor because a precious metals salvage guy is coming around paying them $100/ea. a parking lot near the melbourne bennett auto parts store had 5 cars looted for convertors last week. Some entrepreneur-thief is crawling under them with a cordless sawsall and buzzing them off. An old lady came into the store and complained her car was loud - like NASCAR loud - and the counter dude found 4 other cars next to it also with missing cats !!! they hit up the v-8's with 2 convertors each. that's $1000 for a few minutes of theft!!! It should be easy to catch this guy. Although it happened last week the news hasn't hit the papers around here yet because the cops watching...

Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 PM
4wd Low

Found the noise, it is the heat shield hitting the exhaust. Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: cold_surfer

I vote convertor as well. hope it doesn't turn sideways on you and block your exhaust off (and ruin something really expensive). Better to part with the small $ on a custom-welded universal unit. many shops locally as $125-175 installed.

Word to the wise -- the OLD cat is now worth $$. a muffler shop locally will pay $60 for any old convertor because a precious metals salvage guy is coming around paying them $100/ea. a parking lot near the melbourne bennett auto parts store had 5 cars looted for convertors last week. Some entrepreneur-thief is crawling under them with a cordless sawsall and buzzing them off. An old lady came into the store and complained her car was loud - like NASCAR loud - and the counter dude found 4 other cars next to it also with missing cats !!! they hit up the v-8's with 2 convertors each. that's $1000 for a few minutes of theft!!! It should be easy to catch this guy. Although it happened last week the news hasn't hit the papers around here yet because the cops watching...

Thats crazy, first it was airbags, now cats. And of course fullsize trks and suvs usually have V8's and sit higher...Would insurance pay for this? Need new cats and O2's anyone?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Mudding

I need new cats!!...lol