Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise when I first start driving after going from R to D and then turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise when I first start driving after going from R to D and then turning

I fixed the clunk that was happening when I put it in gear by fixing a leak, changing gear oil, and lubing driveshaft (not sure which one of those fixed it but it stopped). Changed plugs, wires (again), coil packs, put in good gas (plus sea foam), changed coolant, oil, air filter, and brake fluid before starting the car back up after it sat for 8 months. Wouldn't go into gear because battery was dead (temp read in celsius when I did get it started back but that was an easy fix thanks to someone here telling me the buttons to push)

Now all I have left is that when I'm going out of my garage or starting up leaving work and I back out of a space/garage it makes a noise after I shift it to drive and start moving while the wheel is being turned back sharply. Do I need to change my power steering fluid or would that be something else? What all underneath can I lube? I have a grease gun and can easily lube whatever I need myself but other than the drive shaft I'm not sure if any of the rest of that underneath stuff needs servicing.

The noise can't be good and I'd like to go ahead and take care of it if need be.

Other than this noise the Discovery runs better than it did before parking it.

The only other thing bothering me is that the rear ashtray won't go back in as it seems the hole is bigger than the ashtray. Any tricks here?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What year and how many miles? Better describe the noise sound. Have you rebuilt or replaced the front drive shaft?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what do you drive? D1 or D2? what did you grease? u joints? slip joint?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
KBW
Mudding

my fault I thought all of that was in my signature. 03 D2 with 60K...I have the beefed up version Tom Woods ds. Sounds like a rub or something like that but my tires definitely do not rub. Only happens when turning going really slow (like <5mph).

Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 PM

you greased the shaft properly when you put it in? including the centering ball? you grease it at regular intervals? what color is your power steering fluid? honey? or dark maple syrup?

Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
KBW
Mudding

Steering fluid is definitely dark so I obviously need to change it. Any methods better than others? Can I use something to just suck it out?

As far as the TW I greased it new (was already greased so it oozed out a bit), drove it about ten miles, parked it for 7 or 8 months, greased it again (overboard) during recent work, and have only driven about 300 miles total on the shaft since it was new. I'm guessing regular grease is good enough because I used some stuff my dad has that his elevator company uses.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 AM

use a turkey baster to get the old PS fluid out. i like Lucas synthetic PS treatment (not the stop leak) others like the royal purple.

not sure what elevator grease you are using but i would use green grease or mobil 1.