Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob to the Rover, but not the passion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 12:58 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob to the Rover, but not the passion

Hey y'all,
soi just got my very first Rover last night. I paid $1,200 for it, and feel like I got a steal. Less than 150k on the clock, and has a few issues that need to be addressed. First and foremost, the coolant leak: rear of engine (ish) on the passenger side. From scouring the posts here, it looks to be a head gasket. Am I correct in this assumption? I'm not sure if there's any freeze plug issues with these motors. Oh, by the way, it's an '02 SD Disco. A couple electrical issues, wind intrusion at the front doors, and a possible CDL switch. Body is in damn good shape. I've got the garage, and the tools for the head job if that's what the coolant issue is. And I'm having issues finding programmers or chips for the ECM, can anyone point me in the right direction for after the leak is fixed?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-12-2020, 01:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@dlonewolf86 tuners and chips do not really exist for these, there are some I doubt you get an large benefit for them. It is by large still 1960's buick 315 with an updated fueling and ignition system.

Spend your time and money on the important stuff
  1. Driveshaft you want to make sure the front one is perfect - if you have any doubt replace with one that has 4 grease points
  2. Cooling systems do a full flush and get a 180 thermostat
  3. Get an ultraguage or bluetooth ODB module and monitor your actual engine temps - the gauge sits in the middle and only moves when it is way too late think idiot light
  4. Do a full fluid replacement both diffs and transfer case - transmission can be done as well
  5. Fuel these are setup for and run best on 91 octane higher is not required lower is hard on the engine
You need to address the head gasket sooner than later over heat, is very very hard on these engines you get warped heads, potential block cracks and slipped liners.

Now that I have been a downer they a really great trucks, they will go anywhere I follow Defenders and series rover's on every club outing without issue.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:25 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@dlonewolf86 tuners and chips do not really exist for these, there are some I doubt you get an large benefit for them. It is by large still 1960's buick 315 with an updated fueling and ignition system.

Spend your time and money on the important stuff
  1. Driveshaft you want to make sure the front one is perfect - if you have any doubt replace with one that has 4 grease points
  2. Cooling systems do a full flush and get a 180 thermostat
  3. Get an ultraguage or bluetooth ODB module and monitor your actual engine temps - the gauge sits in the middle and only moves when it is way too late think idiot light
  4. Do a full fluid replacement both diffs and transfer case - transmission can be done as well
  5. Fuel these are setup for and run best on 91 octane higher is not required lower is hard on the engine
You need to address the head gasket sooner than later over heat, is very very hard on these engines you get warped heads, potential block cracks and slipped liners.

Now that I have been a downer they a really great trucks, they will go anywhere I follow Defenders and series rover's on every club outing without issue.
Minus the TLC it needs, I'm satisfied with it. As stated, I've always wanted one. I figure I'd build this one up before buying new, and buying the wifey a range Rover. Thank you for the advice. I will heed it. Also, one quick thing: I thought these came standard with heated mirrors. Mine don't seem to be, and it's a very nice feature for here in Wyoming. Another electrical issue I need to chase..?

Old 01-12-2020, 06:37 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Download the RAVE manual and consult it -- it will answer most of your questions such as the heated mirrors (they only come on in certain situations).
There's also a document called the D2 electrical library. Links to both can be found all over this forum.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:14 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Nobody mentioned that a 2002 will not have a CDL. Heated mirrors usually come with a "cold weather package" that has a heated windshield and heated seats as well. Most vehicles have the wiring in place for the heated bits which can be added later if desired.

You should be able to call a dealer and with your VIN they can tell you what options your truck was sold with.

As mentioned download the RAVE... See if you have fuses for the heated parts.

See the Major service sticky and have fun!!

Old 01-12-2020, 05:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

The other first thing to do is the PCV mod. You can put a little UV dye in the coolant to trace your leak and see where it is coming from, but most commonly hg at that location. #1 cause of blown hg is overheating. #1 cause of overheating is low coolant level. #1 cause of low coolant level is coolant leaks. Multiple potential leak causes, but at 150k you will likely experience all of them if you do not pre-emptively perform preventative maintenance. I have had 12 Discos, here are the most common leak points in order of occurence frequency based on my experience:
  1. Throttle body heater gasket - unless you live in the artic this can be bypassed.
  2. Ruptured hose due to age deterioration (all hoses are susceptible to this).
  3. Cracked radiator - most common location is the nipple at the top drivers side, but tanks will crack at other locations as well.
  4. Cracked expansion tank.
  5. Cracked hard lines - throttle body and radiator - I replace with transmission cooler hose.
  6. Cracked lower radiator
  7. Water pump seal leak - coolant comes out of the weep hole
#2 cause is a stuck thermostat.

I have begun pre-emptively replacing the entire cooling system on my projects, and I recommend a bypass thermostat.

I also recommend lubricating the window regulator tracks to prevent the roller breakage that results in a stuck window - never had a failure with pm lubing.

Lock your doors as little as possible, the motor brushes wear out purely due to cycles - less cycles equal longer life.

If your headliner is in good shape, I would also recommend pre-emptively tackle the sunroof pan leak points. You might be able to avoid replacing the headline if you get it before it gets you.

The FL1-A oil filter is very good low cost oil filter available at Wal-Mart. I have had a few trucks with worn bearings and low oil pressure - use the 15w40 diesel engine oil and you will have no issues.

I have two with over 220k on the clock - you should get many years enjoyment out of it.

Welcome!

The following users liked this post:
boston4 (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 03:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

RE: Heated Mirrors, mine come on with the rear defroster.