Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This Normal Acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Is This Normal Acceleration?

So I have a few of these embarrassingly simple questions coming up. I'm just going to try and spread them out to save face. My first question is in regards to acceleration.

I've recently completed a HG job and front cover bits. It took me a while but I finally have my Rover is good working order. I wanted to make sure I don't have any issues accelerating, but I don't have anything to compare against. I can pull out onto a busy road, but it can make me a little nervous. Another good example is accelerating onto the Interstate. It's pretty slow accelerating, but has no problem reaching top speed. Or when hitting a hill, it feels like its slow to accelerate, but it will get there eventually. Is this a symptom of the boxy V8, or is there any to be concerned about to check out. Besides the slow acceleration I have no other issues, no misfires, no idle problems, no codes.

I'm not sure if I'm just looking for a problem at this point but it would help put my mind at ease if I just new, "nope, that's just the way it is."

Old 01-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Check that your accelerator cable is adjusted correctly.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:35 PM
TReK
Received 482 Likes on 405 Posts

I have my 04 apart for an engine rebuild(ticking, suspect slipped liner), but, otherwise it ran excellent, and has 122k miles.
For what it is, I was extremely impressed with it's acceleration, and it'll cruise at 80mph the same as 20mph.
I'm no stranger to speed either, as I've been riding sportbikes for 20+ years. And have ridden in some cars that'll run 9 second 1/4 miles like the bikes.
No, Discos aren't quick, but mine accelerates suprisingly well for a brick. It has no problem getting up to speed or staying there. It also has plenty of passing power.
I've been suprised to read so many posts on these being slow or sluggish.
Apparently those D2s are worn out, or their owners expectations were way too high.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInA88
Check that your accelerator cable is adjusted correctly.

X2 ^^^

when i bought mine i could put my foot to the floor and only get maybe 75% of what i would expect from about 190hp to the tires. poked around and realized that the throttle cable needed to be adjusted and was leaving about 30% throttle on the table. now its still hilariously slow, but makes more noise and wont get you killed trying merge with highway traffic.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:58 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

With an 01 he as a 4.0 so comparisons to a 4.6 might not be valid. Also to consider is the type of fuel being used and the condition of the injectors.

You should be using premium top tier gas and if you didn't do it when you had things apart, run some cleaner through the injectors.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Winching

I do run premium gas and replaced the injectors during the HG job. The only things I didn't replace were camshaft/rockers/lifters/anything crank related.

I will check the throttle cable, I've removed/replaced that thing so many times but I never actually checked the spacing on it. KingKoopas comments sound eerily familiar.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Winching

I checked throttle cable yesterday. I had about a 2mm gap, while the Rave said it should be .5mm, so I went ahead and tightened it a bit.

Ohh man, what a difference a millimeter makes!! It is soo much better now. Now instead of meandering through the intersection at a green light I actually have a little throttle response. I also have an uphill onramp to the interstate that I flew up without issue. I even passed a truck on the interstate!

So pumped. Thanks guys!!

Old 01-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
I checked throttle cable yesterday. I had about a 2mm gap, while the Rave said it should be .5mm, so I went ahead and tightened it a bit.

Ohh man, what a difference a millimeter makes!! It is soo much better now. Now instead of meandering through the intersection at a green light I actually have a little throttle response. I also have an uphill onramp to the interstate that I flew up without issue. I even passed a truck on the interstate!

So pumped. Thanks guys!!
I looked at the rave manual as well and i could not determine from the diagram where the gap was to be measured. Since you just did this could you take a picture for me of the spot please...

BTW, Roll Tide!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Winching

Just for reference the Rave states there should be a .5mm +/- .4mm gap between the throttle and the inner driven lever.

I did my best to get this centered in the photo. The hammer looking part is the throttle lever, below that is the inner driven lever, separate by a very small gap. Basically if you pull the throttle by the hand it should only
have a very slight gap before it pushes the lever down.

To follow on, the cruise control lever (out of focus in my photo) should have a 4.0mm to 4.5mm from its edge to the edge of the throttle lever. Or in other words 4.5mm to 5.0mm to the same inner driven lever.

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited by robert.juric; 01-09-2018 at 07:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by robert.juric:
coop74 (01-09-2018), number9 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Hopefully that helps.
The thanks for your reply indicates a picture is worth more than one enlarged (?) illustration.

Thanks for helping. Photo suggests better where to measure gap.

A similar photo with a feeler gauge shown inserted would make it almost totally newbie proof.

I'll try to remember to grab an image when doing my needed CC cable adj.

Last edited by number9; 01-10-2018 at 01:00 AM.