Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not overheating, but paranoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased an Ultraguage at someone on the forum's suggestion. Been keeping a close eye on the temp guage, and it operates within the range. Highest temp I've reached while driving in stop and go is 212. Normally operates between 195 and 203, but it is cold in NH.

My neighbor is a mechanic, and he has good intentions, but between him being busy, and him not knowing Rovers well, I am sometimes skeptical of bringing it to him. Says he might be able to do it for $600-700 in parts and $900 in labor. Labor price seems fair, but I thought I only needed the Head Gasket Kit (STC4082BK) and New Head Bolts (9224) from AB, adding up to $250. Some folks will say that it's just a Buick motor, but other's say it's a Rover, so on and so forth. I'd almost tackle it myself, but I would be doing it outside in the snow, and I think I'm shy a few tools. I've read it's a fairly simple operation, as long as you label everything and can follow directions. I'm exceptional at the above, but have some physical trouble turning wrenches. I would love nothing more than to do this myself, but I am just not sure.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

@McWilly, It sounds like he's marking the parts up a little (unless he's using the 'Victor' head gaskets), and IMO $900 labor is a little steep since he's doing it for someone he knows...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcwilly21
I purchased an Ultraguage at someone on the forum's suggestion. Been keeping a close eye on the temp guage, and it operates within the range. Highest temp I've reached while driving in stop and go is 212. Normally operates between 195 and 203, but it is cold in NH.

My neighbor is a mechanic, and he has good intentions, but between him being busy, and him not knowing Rovers well, I am sometimes skeptical of bringing it to him. Says he might be able to do it for $600-700 in parts and $900 in labor. Labor price seems fair, but I thought I only needed the Head Gasket Kit (STC4082BK) and New Head Bolts (9224) from AB, adding up to $250. Some folks will say that it's just a Buick motor, but other's say it's a Rover, so on and so forth. I'd almost tackle it myself, but I would be doing it outside in the snow, and I think I'm shy a few tools. I've read it's a fairly simple operation, as long as you label everything and can follow directions. I'm exceptional at the above, but have some physical trouble turning wrenches. I would love nothing more than to do this myself, but I am just not sure.

are you losing coolant? are you having misfires? why dont you tell your "friend" you will supply the parts if he agrees to do it for $900. yes you need the kit from AB and the new head bolts not a bad idea to throw a new hose kit, thermostat and water pump on while everything is apart. then you are back up to the $600 range for parts but well worth it not having to worry about another problem for a long while.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Less as an expert on Rovers (as my post count will doubtless indicate) but more as a general rule... you need to figure out where you are losing coolant before you get too wrapped around the axle. Were you losing coolant prior to changing to the new upper hose? If not, start (and probably stop) there. It sounds like your engine definitely isn't eating the coolant so it must be leaking externally somewhere. Take the airshield off and take it into direct sunlight or get a really good flashlight on it. You can even UV dye your coolant and get a blacklight in there to help you.

All sorts of respect to those that know this engine far better than I ever will and can prognosticate with the scantest of details. But, you'll serve yourself well if you can confirm where you're leaking before you start throwing parts (and $) at the problem.

Last edited by longjon76; 03-02-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: gud speling
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Drifting

I have been trying to determine if there is an external leak, but havent had much luck. I'll give the dye a go and see if that helps at all. As of yesterday, I lost about 1/2 inch of coolant in the reservoir, but everything is running well. Temp is staying normal, no misfires, and the heat is working. Maybe bleeding the coolant system again was all it took. Gonna throw the water pump and t-stat at it anyways, as I know it hasnt been replaced since I've owned it. Even if it turns out to be headgaskets, at least I'll have a new water pump.