Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not starting... help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not starting... help!

I need some advice if you're willing to share...

I have an '04 Discovery with 23K miles on it (I love it by the way). Still under warranty and until now, I've been happy with my dealership. Twice in the last 6 months I've been out, driving from place to place with no problems until I stop somewhere for an hour or more and suddenly when I get back in the vehicle and try to start it I get nothing. I turn the key, the CD player works, lights on the dash work, the fan to the A/C turns on, etc. but the engine does nothing, I hear a click and that's it. The first time it happened back in January it got towed back to the dealership and upon coming off of the flatbed it started with no problem. The mechanics determined it to be a loose connection to the terminal on the battery. I was satisfied until yesterday. It did the same thing, this time though, when the tow truck arrived to pick it up, it fired right up for him. The dealer has it and says nothing comes up on the computer and they've re-programmed the key fob and something in the key to see if that fixes it. I checked this forum this morning and saw the posts about the problems with starters and called the dealership to ask them to look into and fix anything there. Never heard from them all day, I called back a little while ago and found they did the above but are refusing to do anything further as they can't re-create the problem. I called LR Cust Svc as advised by the dealer to see if something further can be done but I don't get the sense they'll authorize anything else to be replaced. I'm worried, they'll never get it to be re-created as it happens so infrequently...

Any thoughts on how to handle this?
Thanks very much,

Old 07-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: not starting... help!

This happens on my range rover every once in a while, I just turn it off and then back on and that always fixes it for me

Old 07-07-2006, 10:11 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with the battery take the terminal off the posts.
You need to clean the inside till it looks new.
The outside of the terminals don't count.
I say this due to a old car I had that died on me when I was
starting out from a stop light dead no power none for flashers
lights anything. And all it was the inside of the inside of the
terminals.
That is what it sounds like to me, it started off just the way your
LR is, would not start just once in a great while.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Just make sure you have the dealer write up a work order on the truck stating what you feel is wrong and after they check it, if nothing is found, make sure they document that. Down the road, even if you go out of warranty, they will have to fix it, or if you have to get it fixed out on the road, take the bill in with a full description of what was wrong, what they fixed, make sure the mileage and vin. number are on the work order. Rover will have to pay.
Mike