Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what I drained - Transmission Fluid drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure what I drained - Transmission Fluid drain plug?

Hey guys,

So, first time changing the oil on my 2004 Land Rover HSE and my dumbass wasn't sure which was the oil drain plug...so I took my chance and I was wrong. I ended up unscrewing the black bolt which is right behind the oil pan drain plug...I'm pretty sure its the transmission fluid as it came out darkish red...and had an oily smell/touch to it.

Only about a quarter to a half pint drained out. Can anyone tell what that was? Its a round silver case that directly behind the silver oil pan. The plug was on the back, up the side a little bit.

EDIT: after doing some further research I don't think its the tranny fluid as I looked at the tutorial on how to change the tranny fluid. Its the silver case thats right in front of the tranny sump and right behind the oil sump. I have attached 2 pics of the bolt I unscrewed.

Please, any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by PackAttack12; 05-24-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Black plug? On my disco the tranny plug is a gold anodized color and uses an Allen wrench for removal. It's more likely you pulled the transfer case plug, but it shouldn't be red. Did you use a 1/2 drive without a socket to remove whatever it was? If so, it was the transfer case. Photo?

Last edited by willrok13; 05-24-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Overlanding

Here are the pics. Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by PackAttack12
Hey guys,

So, first time changing the oil on my 2004 Land Rover HSE and my dumbass wasn't sure which was the oil drain plug...so I took my chance and I was wrong. I ended up unscrewing the black bolt which is right behind the oil pan drain plug...I'm pretty sure its the transmission fluid as it came out darkish red...and had an oily smell/touch to it.

Only about a quarter to a half pint drained out. Can anyone tell what that was? Its a round silver case that directly behind the silver oil pan. The plug was on the back, up the side a little bit.

EDIT: after doing some further research I don't think its the tranny fluid as I looked at the tutorial on how to change the tranny fluid. Its the silver case thats right in front of the tranny sump and right behind the oil sump. I have attached 2 pics of the bolt I unscrewed.

Please, any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Not sure what I drained - Transmission Fluid drain plug?-photo-2-copy.jpg   Not sure what I drained - Transmission Fluid drain plug?-photo-1-copy.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Overlanding

Yeah, after doing some more reading - I'm almost certain it's the transfer case plug? Any tips on what I should do now? Like I said, about a quarter to a half pint drained out...

Originally Posted by willrok13
Black plug? On my disco the tranny plug is a gold anodized color and uses an Allen wrench for removal. It's more likely you pulled the transfer case plug, but it shouldn't be red. Did you use a 1/2 drive without a socket to remove whatever it was? If so, it was the transfer case. Photo?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like some bolt to the oil pump for your transmission if i'm seeing this picture right. If ATF hasnt been done recently you mind as well do a correct drain and fill on that, else top it up.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That is not the t-case plug, that is on the transmission, I think that is your fill hole but I am not 100% sure as I have never seen the fill plug on a '04 transmission which is a different trans that that used on the pre-'03 DII's.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Winching

That bolt is not the transfer case plug, and I have never removed it (prob for a good reason lol). Since it's on the bell housing it likely is tranny oil. However, based on the color of the residue, it looks like engine oil. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its a plug for something on the transmission. Intermidiate plate? Download Rave from landroverresource.com and follow the procedure for checking your transmission fluid. I think that's what you drained but we can wait for someone else to chime in. Your transfer case shouldn't have lost any fluid, that much I know Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
That is not the t-case plug, that is on the transmission, I think that is your fill hole but I am not 100% sure as I have never seen the fill plug on a '04 transmission which is a different trans that that used on the pre-'03 DII's.
Not the tranny fill plug either. 100% positive. If its in between the plugs where a tranny cooler line would attach ('04 doesn't have one) it is a plug having something to do with the intermidiate plate. But it looks as though it's near the rear of the bell housing which is throwing me.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by br0keit
That looks like some bolt to the oil pump for your transmission if i'm seeing this picture right. If ATF hasnt been done recently you mind as well do a correct drain and fill on that, else top it up.
I'm with br0keit on this one. Service the tranny and you will be fine. It probably needs it anyway.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by willrok13
Not the tranny fill plug either. 100% positive. If its in between the plugs where a tranny cooler line would attach ('04 doesn't have one) it is a plug having something to do with the intermidiate plate. But it looks as though it's near the rear of the bell housing which is throwing me.
Thank you for the clarification.

Quick Reply: Not sure what I drained - Transmission Fluid drain plug?