Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what's wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not sure what's wrong

As the title says I'm not sure what's wrong and don't want to waste money on the wrong thing.
I have a 2001 Discovery II. As I was driving home the other day it died on me while at a stoplight. After getting it to restart it was very sluggish to get moving. It got me home, at each stop light I kept the engine revved in neutral. Then upon switching into drive, it was again, very sluggish to get moving again. It seemed that regardless of how much I laid on the gas, it was very slow to get up to speed. By this I mean literally very slow to get up to speed. After it reached about 30mph the sluggishness backed off and it would go fine. However, since then it has sat for a few days, as I was afraid to do major damage by driving it further,and now it will not start. The ignition seems to go, it turns over and over, but never catches. I am trying to fix this by myself due to a serious lack of funds. I initially thought it was likely a fuel filter problem. Although after reading the forums, I realize that the fuel filter is an integrated part of the fuel pump. I did however see from the RAVE manual that it has a course filter under the fuel pump assembly. Could this be the problem? Is it something that I could possibly clean with brake clean and the truck run again? The air filter was changed when I had my last oil change. So I feel this is likely not the problem. Do you have any thoughts on what might be causing this behavior in my truck. Again I am praying it is something I can fix myself. While I am a girl I'm not afraid of breaking nails or getting dirty, so if I can do it, I want to. Any and all help would be a gift. Thank you so very much.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Check engine light?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Mudding

Have you checked if it is the fuel pump itself? Can you hear it when you start the truck?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
5th Gear
Default No Light Engine Sound

I did not see a check engine light. I have recently checked all of the fuses located under the steering wheel so I feel confident that the light is working correctly. I can hear the engine crank, however, it never catches.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Sounds like "Limp Home Mode" where you get third gear and reverse and nothing else.

Could be caused by low battery. Is the gear designator on the dash flashing? are the M and S symbols flashing? if so time for a new battery. they tend to work until they don't even though they put out enough juice to crank if the computers aren't happy it wont go.

Do ALL of your dash warning lights come on when you turn the key to the first position?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
5th Gear

I will go check the lights, but the battery is under a year old.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
5th Gear

When I put the key in and turn it all lights come on. When trying the ignition the battery and service engine light remain on while cranking.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You need to verify fuel pressure.
When the key is turned on - the fuel pump will run for a few seconds and build up pressure.

Your fuel pump is probably bad.
I would simply replace it.
If
you are at 150,000 or more miles, fuel pump is probably dead.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM
5th Gear

Thank you!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Winching

It's not too bad/difficult to get too. Least compared to other cars/trucks. You will need to remove the back seat and pull the carpet up. Then you can get to the fuel pump. Verify that's what it is with a pressure test first though, you will need another person to help with that. One to turn the key, the other to check the fuel at the rail (engine compartment)

Quick Reply: Not sure what's wrong