Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I've really gone and done it - help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I've really gone and done it - help

Ok, after a successful day of finally getting my viscous fan clutch off (with bloody knuckles to show for it) I tore everything apart according to the RAVE for a power steering pump replacement. I started putting everything together and followed (or so I thought) the torque specifications and broke the two bolts holding the PAS pump into the auxiliary housing and stretched the long bolt in the block that goes through the auxiliary housing and the top-middle hole of the PAS pump. I don't know if I read my torque wrench wrong (most likely) or it's way off calibration but it's a moot point at this moment. The damage is done. I'm going to need two new long bolts and the really long one coming out of the block. Where do I get them? Not the least of my worries is the fact that I still have two bolt ends still stuck in the auxiliary housing for the PAS pump. How does one get them out?

Attached Thumbnails Now I've really gone and done it - help-p1140062_2.jpg   Now I've really gone and done it - help-p1140063_2.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Fastenal has stores in your area (and lots of bolts of all sizes and easy outs to remove them). And there are plenty of other nut and bolt distributors.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow bro, bad day..... yikes..... I will send the bolts next day to you if you want & as far as the broken bolts you need to drill a hole up the center of them soak them in pb blaster for a bit and then you run as large of a self tapping screw as possible in the hole Before running the self tapper in heavily coat the treads with jb weld and let that stuff set up. Good luck and let me know about the bolts?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Wow bro, bad day..... yikes..... I will send the bolts next day to you if you want & as far as the broken bolts you need to drill a hole up the center of them soak them in pb blaster for a bit and then you run as large of a self tapping screw as possible in the hole Before running the self tapper in heavily coat the treads with jb weld and let that stuff set up. Good luck and let me know about the bolts?
Yeah, I about crapped myself. Feeling pretty down at the moment I have to admit. Un-friggin believable. And to top it off, I had to move my summer time baby outside to make room to work and now it's snowing all over it. I knew I should have bought a car cover for it. lr2001silver, do you have all three bolts in my pictures above? I found I was able to unscrew the long one that was stretched with no troubles. Let me know how much and the details of getting 'em to me whenever you have time.

Thanks Savannah Buzz for the suggestion, I found a fastenal store just a few miles from home. I'll be there bright and early tomorrow, part in hand to see what tools may help.

I attached the same photos with drawings to emphasize the problem points.
Time for a strong drink.

Attached Thumbnails Now I've really gone and done it - help-p1140062_2-revised.jpg   Now I've really gone and done it - help-p1140063_2-revised_edited-1.jpg  

Last edited by expedio2005; 01-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick up a bolt extractor, which you can get at Fastenal...it much easier than what's been recommended

Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about what you are going through. I've been there before with having bad days. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

do it by feel next time

use
torque wrench only fir head bolts

Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jfall
do it by feel next time

use
torque wrench only fir head bolts
Funny you should mention that as I almost always go by feel. For some reason, I got it in my head to follow the rules today and torque things properly..... I agree with the head bolt comment. Thanks everyone for the comments and help! I'm off to fastenal tomorrow morning.

Last edited by expedio2005; 01-14-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Mudding

Hi lr2001silver, are you able to find those two bolts for the PAS pump and also (and more importantly) the long stud coming out of the block that I stretched? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

you may need to thread that long stud from some stock.
or buy threaded rod.

Quick Reply: Now I've really gone and done it - help