Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that Mantec is out of business where do I score a similar style raised intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 08:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Lots available on ebay, usually from southeast asia. I think water fording must be a bigger thing there....https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...orkel&_sacat=0

Old 02-03-2018, 02:41 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

A suggestion, unless you go seriously wading/fording in deep water or on dusty roads fitting a snorkel lengthens the intake tract and can seriously reduce your mpg's by around >10%. Might I suggest you don't fit them for pretty 'looks' as many seem to do.

The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (05-08-2022)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Considering the mods that the OP has already performed: I don’t think mileage is the primary concern. I have recently added the Mantec intake and mileage was not on my mind. If I were concerned with mileage: I would have picked a different vehicle or would have at least chosen to not add a lift and 33” tires (which complicates calculating actual mpg) or install a rack with lights that would disturb wind tunnel tuned factory aerodynamics. And for mileage there is no need to install heavy steel bumpers and winches as they just eat mileage due to added drag and weight. I do not wade often but I never know when I might have the opportunity or need. I have ended up in positions before where I was presented with unexpected and if I was better prepared I would have suffered less consequences. For me: I had a vision of what I wanted and know how I have used others in the past so I want to be prepared for possible situations. Just as I am in the process of adding CDL now as I can probably utilize it at some point.

Now as to those cheap Chinese knockoffs: I never liked the looks of the Safari Snorkel. Some people do but I don’t. Then there is the whole issue of the knockoffs destroying the actual manufacturing companies. I have had my experiences utalizing offshore manufacturing and refuse to purchase such products when at all possible. That is a whole story in itself and I have had similar experiences with manufacturing in China and India.

Yoops Racing (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
May have found one from a US dealer. I’ll update.

damn I looked everywhere for one including UK...if anyone has a line on one plz let me know

Old 02-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
If someone would post up pictures of a mantek and how it install, I might be able to duplicate the design. Depends on how many people were interested, too.

if If I can find one you are welcome to duplicate the design and instructions...

Old 02-03-2018, 09:19 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I have one in a box, not for sale.

It is a high quality product with excellent finish. I heard Lucky8 might make one, but that was through the rumor mill.

I can say that after analyzing the product the price is not overboard for the quality.

Joe! (12-10-2019)
Old 02-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I have one in a box, not for sale.

It is a high quality product with excellent finish. I heard Lucky8 might make one, but that was through the rumor mill.

I can say that after analyzing the product the price is not overboard for the quality.

I bought one just before the end of last year and after exhausting sources in the US I was able to purchase on from the U.K. With shipping I was still well below $400 and after analyzing the product it is difficult for me to duplicate it and market it for similar cost. I would have to find a way to sell/market it which means I would have to have an outlet to sell or distribute it. Even with all the equipment in the shop and the fact that I have all the powder coating in house: I would still have to produce in significant quantity to make it a profitable venture.

I can not compete with the DIY products that are done at home and definitely not the Chinese injection molded parts that are made with molds that were paid for by some other unsuspecting company.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one for sale in excellent condition. I bought it thinking it would fit my 2001 DII. Howerver i have to make some mods to make it fit.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Lots available on ebay, usually from southeast asia. I think water fording must be a bigger thing there....https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=land+rove r+discovery+2+snorkel&_sacat=0
that $100 one on ebay... the template they send you is wrong.
it doesnt have the cutout for the front piece so you dont know where to cut the fender for the airbox.
the bolt holes are also upside down on the template. I had to redrill thus having 8 holes in my fender. You dont see them but I know they are there.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by djizzy
I have one for sale in excellent condition. I bought it thinking it would fit my 2001 DII. Howerver i have to make some mods to make it fit.
pm’d You again, mailbox is full

Quick Reply: Now that Mantec is out of business where do I score a similar style raised intake?